IGNORED

NES - Pro Wrestling - black box games variants - Is this label legit or repro?

snakeyez

I know there are zillions of black box variations out there. I don't want to get burned. Things I noticed about this label:

There is no "TM" or copyright symbol or anything at all by NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM on the label. 

There is no "Made in Japan" in the lower left of the label.

This is a 5 screw cart.prowrestling.jpg.01c75f6e8aca5b97dc48f56e2df5271d.jpg

Would these two things together indicate a very old release of the game?

Honestly, the odds of someone putting a repro label on an original Pro Wrestling cartridge are so slim that I'm confident in saying that yours is a legit OEM label.  Once you've handled enough carts in person, you'll be able to tell in seconds for yourself, but for the time being, remember that there were millions and millions of NES cartridges sold, of which 0.001% have had repro labels applied to them.  And it's usually highly sought after or exceedingly expensive games that you'd need to keep an eye out for to prevent yourself from being swindled, so keep that in mind as well.

TLDR: Your Pro Wrestling cart is almost certainly legit.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Also, check the back and see if there's a debossed 'A' for the code revision.  The first print run had the famous "A Winner is You" line after you win each match, while the revision "fixed" the sentence to just "Winner is You."  Judging from the label, yours should be the pre-revision with the "A winner is You" text in the game.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Also, check the back and see if there's a debossed 'A' for the code revision.  The first print run had the famous "A Winner is You" line after you win each match, while the revision "fixed" the sentence to just "Winner is You."  Judging from the label, yours should be the pre-revision with the "A winner is You" text in the game.

I did indeed check the back prior to purchasing because I wanted the initial "A Winner is You" version. The back (in the photo anyway) had no debossed letter. I'm learning slowly but getting there. Thanks much. I'm trying to be careful with each cart I collect that I get the variant that I seek.

17 hours ago, snakeyez said:

Again,thank you guys for your insight. After watching a well explained YouTube video on black box games, I feel like this is an early, early Pro Westling cart. I got it for $7.50.

Probably my video! It seems to be getting lots of attention.

The label is authentic, it's just a first print without the TM.

8 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Probably my video! It seems to be getting lots of attention.

The label is authentic, it's just a first print without the TM.

Yessir, it was your video. It was the only thing I could find that visually explained the black box timeline. I'd like to see more of the hands-on explanations of variants that you displayed at the end of the video, especially dealing more with the cart/labels instead of the box. Good stuff to know. Appreciate the info!

As far as the Pro Wrestling, I saw 5 screws with and without the TM, 5 screws with and without the "Made in Japan" in the lower left front of the cart sticker, and at least another variation with the 3 screws including the A revision debossing on the back label. I'm hoping this is about the oldest Pro Wrestling variant.

2 hours ago, snakeyez said:

Yessir, it was your video. It was the only thing I could find that visually explained the black box timeline. I'd like to see more of the hands-on explanations of variants that you displayed at the end of the video, especially dealing more with the cart/labels instead of the box. Good stuff to know. Appreciate the info!

As far as the Pro Wrestling, I saw 5 screws with and without the TM, 5 screws with and without the "Made in Japan" in the lower left front of the cart sticker, and at least another variation with the 3 screws including the A revision debossing on the back label. I'm hoping this is about the oldest Pro Wrestling variant.

Less of an emphasis is put on the label variants because the easiest way to pinpoint the printing for a cartridge is from the chip dates. They could have sourced old chips but it's more likely they're at least relative to the timeline. You can find out how early your cartridge is by opening it up and checking to see how close the chip dates are to October 18 1985.

And I may be doing another video with all of the Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! and The Legend Of Zelda variants. I have over half of them already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Less of an emphasis is put on the label variants because the easiest way to pinpoint the printing for a cartridge is from the chip dates. They could have sourced old chips but it's more likely they're at least relative to the timeline. You can find out how early your cartridge is by opening it up and checking to see how close the chip dates are to October 18 1985.

And I may be doing another video with all of the Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! and The Legend Of Zelda variants. I have over half of them already.

Thanks for the info, and that'd be a good video. Just learning the basics of a 5 screw is older and a 3 screw is newer, along with what the "A" debossed on the back label means, has helped me in making cart decisions. I'm looking for a good Rambo cart without the A debossing (original language in game) yet looking for a 3 screw Castlevania with the A debossing (glitch fixes).

I haven't even looked into the MTPO variants at all, but I do know my cart isn't a 5 screw. 🤣

5 hours ago, Link said:

Just as a general point, I doubt anybody's faking anything to do with Pro Wrestling, or to sell any cart you can buy for $7.50 without any hassle. 

I agree, BUT in my searching I did run across this auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166592322800?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=isksLt5DSly&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=3N_zdiZTR-2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

At least this seller honestly says it's "reconditioned" but that's what got my mind wondering about the whole subject. This one also obviously looks different, thankfully.

• Like 1