IGNORED

Loose NES cart protection?

snakeyez

So, I have my original NES carts from childhood in their original dust sleeves in an original 3rd party display rack (just a black display rack from like Walmart in the early '90s) with manuals and everything. They've always been inside the house in a cabinet or box.

Now I have my loose carts I've been buying elsewhere lately - they have no dust sleeves or anything with them, or else mis-matched, unknown originality sleeves. I'm not sure which direction to go with these loose carts I'm acquiring on storing them, as I occasionally will pop in a cart to play on my AVS but most of the time use my Everdrive N8 Pro for playing. I'm mostly collecting loose carts of games I like that are clean with good labels, not trying to have a huge, complete collection or anything, for nostalgic physical media vibes. Should I just buy some random 3rd party dust sleeves? Try to find original dust sleeves and is there any way to even tell if they're original? Or is there a better, plastic box type of storage for loose carts that better protect them long term from dust and more importantly - humidity? I'm trying to pick which direction to go before diving in to anything. Thoughts on how effective generic dust sleeves are versus no dust sleeves at all versus something better?

Any recommended sources for these things?

On 2/10/2024 at 1:01 PM, snakeyez said:

Try to find original dust sleeves and is there any way to even tell if they're original?

There were only 6 styles, 1 pretty rare. They are detailed here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/601-ultimate-100-cib-nes-collectors-guide/

and some pictures of the textures toward the bottom of that page. 

I haven't seen aftermarket sleeves but I would think you can tell the difference. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:05 PM, The Count said:

You can also buy the DS box protectors from this seller and they fit a loose cart and dust sleeve (I even put the manual in as well. Most manuals will fit with the dust sleeve and cart unless it’s a fat manual).

I only use the retroprotection cases for high dollar games. $20 and under they get a dust sleeve, it’s such a cool/nostalgic look.

Edited by skinnygrinny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:50 PM, Link said:

I haven't seen aftermarket sleeves but I would think you can tell the difference. 

From my experience they look the same at first glance, but are really thin compared to originals. The edges also tend to be rougher, probably from cheap die cuts.

• Like 1