IGNORED

Swapping SNES cartridge back

I was scrolling through eBay and came across a copy of FFIII with a pretty clean looking front label but a cracked back.  The price seems pretty good (if the game works).

It got me wondering, is there any difference in the cartridge back on SNES games? Other than like the stamped numbers and like the made in Japan/Mexico stuff? Is there a way to tell if a game has had the back of the cartridge swapped out? And if it has been swapped out, does that even matter? For reference, this is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186048567492?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XR0ghwipQhS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=eia1brd8qss&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kiljo said:

I was scrolling through eBay and came across a copy of FFIII with a pretty clean looking front label but a cracked back.  The price seems pretty good (if the game works).

It got me wondering, is there any difference in the cartridge back on SNES games? Other than like the stamped numbers and like the made in Japan/Mexico stuff? Is there a way to tell if a game has had the back of the cartridge swapped out? And if it has been swapped out, does that even matter? For reference, this is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186048567492?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XR0ghwipQhS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=eia1brd8qss&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The Office No GIF

Please don't swap the backs.

Yes, the backs are different. There's a number (labeled as "2-digit code" on bootgod) stamped on the back label that is a piece of information. The factory I think? Not sure... There might very well be a thread about breaking it all down here. There "was"... 🤔

I tried to look for Final Fantasy III on SNES, but don't have much time to go through this website... if you look through there might be a way to find it....

https://web.archive.org/web/20140921150837/http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=154

This is my take on it: 

1) It doesn't matter for playing the game.
2) It doesn't matter for looking at the front of the game.
3) It's authentic as is. Collectors like me want that shit to be authentic and not a "Frankenstein cart".

My preference is to always leave the game together.... and you're getting a better price for a bit of "damage" then hell, even better. I like my games to have a bit of "life" to them. 🤗

It doesn't even look cracked when it's together on the the back. I would take some green painters tape (easily removable and cleanable for someone who doesn't want tape on their games 😅) and put it on the INSIDE of the cart, to secure it slightly, then screw it back together and whammy!

You can't see the crack, you've got tape on the inside holding it together that won't damage the inside or leave any glue residue... everybody wins.
😎👍

Edited by AirVillain
Clarification...
  • Thanks 1

I've swapped backs before but I make sure it's a match in terms of label style and imprint number. 

Lots of horrible SNES backs are out there from when people would rip a Blockbuster sticker off the back like they were trying to start a lawnmower and just tear the label to shreds.  I was often able to find a sports game for a couple bucks and swap then just trade in the sports game later or send it in as a repro donor when people used to do that on NA.

56 minutes ago, austin532 said:

I'm more concerned about that half assed battery replacement.

Oh wow that is really bad. Didn’t bother ordering the actual replacement batteries that have the tabs welded on, tried to use a battery from the grocery store and move the tabs over lmao. I would not purchase that game and if I did I wouldn’t play it with that battery in until I changed it