IGNORED

Beat Every Game Boy Game - 2024 - 123/566

Battle Arena Toshinden is done.  Honestly, this one surprised the shit out of me.  I'm not much of a fan of fighting games, and 8 bit fighting games with two buttons are generally the worst of the worst...but this was an extremely pleasant surprise.  Solid gameplay, excellent visuals, and great audio all make for a great game!  Didn't think I'd say this about a fighting game, but I'd actually consider replaying this one!

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Beat Every Game Boy Game - 2024 - 98/566
Editorials Team · Posted

I beat Beavis & Butthead. You just get the same Game Over screen that you get when you die, and you can watch the credits whenever you want, so I guess I should have taken a pic of the final dialog, since that's the only "ending" to speak of. Not a great game, but the cobbled-together feel of it kinda matched the ridiculousness of the cartoon, so it's not the worst experience you could have on GB.

• Like 2

Skate Or Die: Bad N Rad is done.

I should probably point out that the game gives you a levels 1-4 level select and then you have to beat level 4 to get 5, 5 to get 6 and 6 to get 7.  This time around I just started on level 4 because I was a little tired of playing levels 1-3 over and over, which I've done many times recently.  If anyone wants me to play the whole thing in one fell swoop I'm sure I can manage but I didn't think it would really matter due to the level select and the game giving unlimited continues..

This game is about 9/10 memorization and 1/10 improvisation and plenty fun in spite of a flaw or two.  It looks good and the music and sound fx are great.  The only problem really is that it's one of those games that doesn't register a jump if it's improperly timed eg. if you do not wait a proper fraction of a second after landing a jump, pressing jump again will not result in a jump.  It's generally not a problem, but then it pops up and while unlimited continues resolves the brunt of the problem it can still be frustrating to have to start a level over for this reason.  I didn't notice it until strategizing on the final boss, but similarly if you try to jump off a ledge at the last possible moment to try and get maximum distance the same thing happens and no jump occurs.  It probably sounds worse than it actually is.   

Anyway, overall I found it to be fun and unique addition to the Skate Or Die Franchise.

Update: So the ending dumped me off directly onto level 1 and I got curious if it would be different/harder or if anything would happen upon completing levels 1,2&3 and so played through 'em real quick, but nothing different happened.  It just started a new game and and deposited me onto level 4 upon completing 3.

EDIT: Almost forgot, if anyone is interested this game belongs on any list of Game Boy games that do not work on the Super Game Boy. (wait, actually it does.  my bad.)

Skate Or Die Bad 'N' Rad.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Floating Platforms said:

Really? What happens when you try?  I was able to play it on my SGB2 a couple years ago.

I recall reading somewhere that the SGB2 can play at least some pal games that won't work on a SGB.  I'd have to presume that the same holds true for regular Game Boy games that don't work on the SGB.  

What happens is the screen reading: "GAME BOY" w/"nintendo" pops up but the "nintendo" part is all glitched up and it will not advance to the game's title screen.  Instead you get a digital "Uh, uh" sound effect, so pretty much the same thing for a game w/dirty or excessively worn contacts except in this case the contacts are in great shape and super clean as I cleaned them twice.  Also, the SGB's contacts were cleaned in the recent past and I tried getting it to work a couple dozen times, always getting an identical result.  IIRC the same thing happened when I tried to insert my copy of "BombJack" which is the only PAL game I currently own.  All of my other GB games work in it, usually on the first try or after 1 or 2 repeats at most.

26 minutes ago, PII said:

I recall reading somewhere that the SGB2 can play at least some pal games that won't work on a SGB.  I'd have to presume that the same holds true for regular Game Boy games that don't work on the SGB.

Very likely that the improvements in the SGB2 made it possible for me to get through it. I think I remember someone in my twitch chat mentioning a small number of games that don't work on the regular SGB and maybe Skate or Die was one and I forgot because it wasn't affecting me personally.  I'm still curious enough to try to get it working on my SGB tonight. Anything to delay more World Bowling tries.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Floating Platforms said:

I'm still curious enough to try to get it working on my SGB tonight. Anything to delay more World Bowling tries.

Yeah, good idea, just in case It's flukin' on my SGB for some other reason... 

Milon's Secret Castle is done.

Much easier to No-Death than the NES version, since the bosses are pushovers by comparison.  I didn't really run into any significant trouble except maybe when trying to get the balloon out of the well, I fell into some fire and had to kill the enemy twice since chasing after it is a slightly different experience than the NES version.  Took down Maharito in the second position...

MILON'S SECRET CASTLE GB2024.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PII said:

Yeah, good idea, just in case It's flukin' on my SGB for some other reason...

Well, I think it may have been some weird bad luck on your side.  Mine booted right up. I didn't try actually playing a level, but I got as far as entering a stage, which sounds like it was further than your error allowed.

0iHtLXi.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

Well, I think it may have been some weird bad luck on your side.  Mine booted right up. I didn't try actually playing a level, but I got as far as entering a stage, which sounds like it was further than your error allowed.

Hmm, so weird; as soon as you took an interest I had a feeling that maybe I jumped the gun with my pronouncement which does seem to be the case now.  It just seemed so similar to PAL Bombjack refusing to work in the SGB.  Maybe I ought to clean my SGB again...

• The title was changed to Beat Every Game Boy Game - 2024 - 103/566
13 hours ago, PII said:

as soon as you took an interest I had a feeling that maybe I jumped the gun with my pronouncement which does seem to be the case now.

oh no, I was mostly curious if I dodged a bullet by using SGB2. I know I've heard of a very small number of incompatible games, but I'm not sure which ones they are.  Thankfully, even the Wisdom Tree games have worked on my SGB2 at least.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.799a29179d7ebb7c8eca6654ad0646ff.jpeg

image.jpeg.a17f8b48db48d06da4909414ce766948.jpeg

image.jpeg.ee7b135ac1e03c0a4f7c94d9c4de9aaf.jpeg

image.jpeg.05e413e78a090c4513a9e6842b294b08.jpeg

Donkey Kong Land 2 completed 100%. I got all of the DK coins, got all of the Krem coins, played through every level, and unlocked the Lost World. Unlike DK Land and DK Land 3, I had to play DK Land 2 on an Emulator because I don't have the cartridge anymore (I only have the box and manual). I used Visual Boy Advance GX. VBA GX is also a way to get Super Game Boy support on the GameCube.

I played the game as I would on a Game Boy or Game Boy Player, and didn't use any save sates. I have no need for them, as I've played this game a lot just like the other DK Land games.

While technically this game is a Game Boy version of Donkey Kong Country 2, it is not identical. The levels have different layouts. Crocodile Cauldron and Krem Quay are one area in this game, known as Krem Cauldron. There are some gameplay differences. For example, in Glimmer's Galleon, Glimmer doesn't appear, so there are light barrels in the level, making the level kind of like a water version of the Loopy Lights level in Donkey Kong Country. 

If you don't have the game, it's worth getting even though it's similar to DKC2. There are enough changes to make it worthwhile.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 4

Editorials Team · Posted
57 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

Donkey Kong Land 2 completed 100%. I got all of the DK coins, got all of the Krem coins, played through every level, and unlocked the Lost World. Unlike DK Land and DK Land 3, I had to play DK Land 2 on an Emulator because I don't have the cartridge anymore (I only have the box and manual). I used Visual Boy Advance GX. VBA GX is also a way to get Super Game Boy support on the GameCube.

I played the game as I would on a Game Boy or Game Boy Player, and didn't use any save sates. I have no need for them, as I've played this game a lot just like the other DK Land games.

While technically this game is a Game Boy version of Donkey Kong Country 2, it is not identical. The levels have different layouts. Crocodile Cauldron and Krem Quay are one area in this game, known as Krem Cauldron. There are some gameplay differences. For example, in Glimmer's Galleon, Glimmer doesn't appear, so there are light barrels in the level, making the level kind of like a water version of the Loopy Lights level in Donkey Kong Country. 

If you don't have the game, it's worth getting even though it's similar to DKC2. There are enough changes to make it worthwhile.

How would you rank the 3 DKL games?

Kirby's Pinball Land is done. I did some gaming on the go and beat one loop of this cute little pinball game. But despite the cutesy graphics is actually a bit challenging. After a few unsuccessful runs I suddenly had a really good run, where I even got a bonus life. Thank God I had this, because during the fight against King Dedede I was burning through all of my lifes. I don't know what happened, but Kirby constantly landed between the flippers. You can

Kirbys Pinball Land.jpg

• Like 4

World Bowling progress is kind of non-existent. I've reached Canada (stage 4 of 6) several times, but can't make it past there.  Score wise, I've managed 268 as an all-time high. You need 250 on the final stage, so theoretically this is all possible, but I think it's going to require quite a bit of luck as consistency seems impossible. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking a break on World Bowling for at least a week.  After 30 hours, the best I've managed is to get to level 5 of 6 (three times total) and twice I've bowled an overall high of 268.  The game isn't frustrating, it's just confusing. Every time I think I might have a lead on a new strategy, the next attempt kills that theory.  Either there's some RNG stuff happening in the background that would mean the "correct" approach is different on the specific playthrough and/or level, or I simply haven't cracked the code.

There are times when I can somewhat fly through a couple stages and then other times where it'll be an hour before I can make it out of the opening stage because I can't locate strikes.  Right now, the game seems possible, but very heavily reliant on a big string of good luck. But maybe the cartridge is toying with me and giving me false hopes like a slot machine that teases three "7"s before rolling over.

Anyway, next week I'm going to start Pac-in-Time and then my next games after that have already been done here (TMNT 2 & Frogger). I'll alternate between World Bowling tries and other stuff so I can still feel like I'm making some kind of progress.

Edited by Floating Platforms
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

It's been a while but I'm back with a couples of clears:

Pac-Man.PNG.646a82b4f8f55de31f87d7e31b27f588.PNG

Pac-Man is done. I dislike this port because it feels extremely difficult, even more so than the arcade game. Everytime I try to use the warp tunnels I get immediately get killed, with the ghosts being unusually aggressive. The screen crunch doesn't help at all. I feel that Ms. Pac-Man is a little more fair.

Picross2.PNG.82b844b1b7883291e3d447c0465cce34.PNG

Picross 2  is also done. I played through only the Mario game mode, which I would consider the "default" game ending since the Wario mode has to be unlocked. I played this game completely unrelated to the challenge and really enjoyed the game. I think I still like the first game simply because the second game is more tiring to play.

And yes, I am still trying to work on Boxxle... but at this rate it will take years to finish. 

• Like 3

Another 2 done:

ElevatorAction.PNG.e057069c691144c99fdc1393c341c9a6.PNG

Elevator Action. This is a fun but short update on the arcade game. In the last level, you have to enter a door (which appears to be randomly generated based on other YouTube videos) to get to an enemy gauntlet in a small hallway. It's frustrating because you need to fall down the smaller hatches to fall multiple levels. I'm sure they are randomly generated too You really need a few hearts and the machine gun to mow down the robots which take multiple hits. The music is good but got a little annoying after awhile. Not bad overall.

NintendoWorldCup.PNG.6d9a03d1a62bf947b4685dac6e94a333.PNG

Nintendo World Cup. I found this to be fairly easy. When choosing your team, I'd recommend either Germany, Italy and Argentina. These are apparently the best teams in the game. Before each game and each half, you can move your players into different positions, you get to choose whether you want to pass or dribble for offense and to choose if you teammates will score or only pass to you. I found that the offense option didn't really matter to me, but I'd recommend having goals on for the earlier games, and then off for the last few teams. The AI is kind of dumb, consistently running into the opponents and not doing anything. You have to tell them to slide or tackle to do anything. I also found that I could sit for a few minutes not doing anything, it would probably harder if I choose one of the worse teams. The music is good and the controls are tight. I liked the game but wished that the time each half takes would be quicker, 4 minutes is a lot and takes for ever.

• Like 3

Pac-in-Time is done

DIhyWYB.jpeg

We can update the completion requirement on this one to say "Beat all 70 Levels". I was hoping it was only going to be 50, but there are 7 worlds with 10 stages each.

A mostly fun puzzle platformers that continues to throw new ideas or mechanics at you. There were a few levels that gave me trouble. Most of the time when I got stuck, it was from the puzzle solving perspective of figuring out how to pass an obstacle. On one level, 5-5, I spent about 90 minutes trying to navigate a gauntlet of RNG instadeath at the beginning and navigating two rapid firing enemies. I probably overcomplicated things too much but the gameplay is not meant for the level of precision that this stage seemed to want. Generally speaking, the gameplay is good and I say this is a better Spider-Man game than the two I've played on GB. Pac-Man can have access to up to 4 abilities, one is a string thing that allows you to swing across. It's incredibly intuitive and smooth most of the time. Otherwise, there is an underwater swim, a "hammer" that is used when you need to chomp through certain things, and a fireball/hadouken.  What's missing in this Pac-Man game are power pellets and the ability to eat enemies and, largely, ghosts. There are a couple later stages where ghosts appear and are treated like any other enemy, but it's clear that this was a repurposed property where they wedged in a known character.  Still, aside from that one rage-inducing stage, it was a good time, even if it was overly long.

My week long break from World Bowling is over so I'll try more of that on Monday. I was hoping to sneak in one or two more games, but I almost didn't get this one finished after three nights.

• Like 4

Guests · Posted
33 minutes ago, GamerSmith548 said:

IMG_1612.jpeg.54ca663ce4def980ebd4379a75ac5d61.jpeg

IMG_1611.jpeg.b174bcd270f41bbe29cc68305cd2c37f.jpeg

Didn’t realize it, but Donkey Kong Land 2 was already completed by MegaMan52. 😅