IGNORED

Baubles and Charms

a3quit4s

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Who sees this shit through lmao

Tbh stuff like this makes me go "nah". 

The truth is it's been worked on, but everyone on staff is volunteers with life obligations. I lost my job a few months ago and I have higher priorities thusly than getting icons updated. 

Your reminder would probably have bumped it up on my list of priorities, but again, your last statement very much made me go "nah". Not in a great head space and basically being told I'm personally being lazy is a big turn off. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Tbh stuff like this makes me go "nah". 

The truth is it's been worked on, but everyone on staff is volunteers with life obligations. I lost my job a few months ago and I have higher priorities thusly than getting icons updated. 

Your reminder would probably have bumped it up on my list of priorities, but again, your last statement very much made me go "nah". Not in a great head space and basically being told I'm personally being lazy is a big turn off. 

Sorry to hear about your life issues my man. The way you read it was definitely not as it intended. I always forget that sarcasm doesn’t come through well on the forums. It wasn’t meant to be an attack on anyone personally and you know that would be way out of character for me. I hope things get better for you and I’ll still be here to give you shit about the little things 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, a3quit4s said:

Sorry to hear about your life issues my man. The way you read it was definitely not as it intended. I always forget that sarcasm doesn’t come through well on the forums. It wasn’t meant to be an attack on anyone personally and you know that would be way out of character for me. I hope things get better for you and I’ll still be here to give you shit about the little things 

Ok, thanks for clarifying. You can I'm sure imagine where my head's at and so it paints things a little darker than intended I guess.

I do appreciate pings and reminders, I'm just a tad sensitive today I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying. You can I'm sure imagine where my head's at and so it paints things a little darker than intended I guess.

I felt the same way when I got laid off in April/May. Even though I knew it was coming I still felt crappy. I found something a month or so later for a little bit less money but am happier overall. Focus on the positive things and it’ll work itself out. I know we work in the same industry and there are opportunities a plenty so I’m sure you’ll end up back on your feet soon enough. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

Who even needs some silly icons?? Like we seriously need even more silly shit obstructing and imploding every user profile on every page and making mobile pages reading hell

I usually hide stuff like this on mobile. Stuff like badges is a fun thing to do to be more deeply engaged with the community, and is otherwise easily enough ignored.

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Man, I’ve been there. If you’re still looking DM me your resume. If you’re not opposed to possibly working in Microsoft-world and you have any experience, you could be a fit.  If you have DevOps experience with tools like Azure Devops, Octopus Deploy or Jenkins, that’s a plus.

The company I work for picks up contracts to help companies basically go from “fighting fires” every day to becoming well oiled, software producing machines.  They pick up long term and short term contracts and they tend to need a wide array of experienced engineers. I can’t make any promises but I can say it’s a great company and the pay is good.  We are 100% remote and they do hire Canadians.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
10 hours ago, Splain said:

He's a professor these days I believe.

Just this last month, I picked up a class at a local college. It was initially a pure lark, "no way they hire me with zero experience", but then they did. I'm done the class after this week and I'll not be going back.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Gloves said:

Just this last month, I picked up a class at a local college. It was initially a pure lark, "no way they hire me with zero experience", but then they did. I'm done the class after this week and I'll not be going back.

You don't like it? I briefly looked into teaching at local colleges and there were no openings at all, and huge waiting lists. I guess I made some assumptions based on that.

Administrator · Posted
30 minutes ago, Splain said:

You don't like it? I briefly looked into teaching at local colleges and there were no openings at all, and huge waiting lists. I guess I made some assumptions based on that.

I didn't take the full-time faculty position, rather I ended up just taking a single class as a "Casual Faculty". Neither version of the job pays near enough, and the FT Faculty position would require that I show up at 8am every day, and I don't drive. So it'd be Ubers twice a day at $40/day, or hour-long bus rides each way. You may be aware that I don't do well with travel so neither option is appealing at all, especially when the job would only just barely pay enough for me to survive. I like the teaching aspect, I imagine I'd really enjoy the FT Faculty position, but the downsides outweigh the potential pluses.

No waiting lists here that I'm aware of. I literally randomly thought "I wonder if I could teach at a local school for some spare cash", checked online, saw a posting for a job I was way overqualified for on the technical front (and it said "no teaching experience required"), and applied. A week or so later I had an interview, and during the interview they asked if I'd be interested in starting right away. Which is the complete opposite of my teacher friend's experience, she's said that it's impossible to find full-time faculty positions. I must have just had very lucky timing, despite that I ended up not taking the FT job.

• Wow! 1

23 hours ago, BlackVega said:

Who even needs some silly icons?? Like we seriously need even more silly shit obstructing and imploding every user profile on every page and making mobile pages reading hell

Dude this site is super easy to read on mobile. 

Anyway they are fun little ways to quickly display what parts of this wide hobby we're into. I remember a ways back on some forum people saying "we don't need reactions, that's for social media!" It's just a feature and it wasn't clutter, doesn't affecting loading time or pop up anything. Did you ever even see them?