IGNORED

Licensed NES game with patched PCB?

So I have opened a lot of carts but today is the first time I open a game for what I though was an official licensed release and the PCB has a soldered patch cable on it. What do you make of it? Is it a fake or could this happen during manufacturing and test? The rest of the PCB has the typical PCB layout and chip types seen on other Asian games. Anyone else has an Asian Kung Fu could perhaps open it and provide a reference picture.

front_kung_fu.jpg

pcb_kung_fu.jpg

I've seen official PCBs with similar patches done to it from the factory, but never in video game cartridges. Like BlackVega said, this is definitely a repair job by a previous owner, not the factory, since it's just a standard NROM PCB, the trace should already be going to that pin.

On 10/8/2023 at 7:56 AM, Werrock said:

Anyone else has an Asian Kung Fu could perhaps open it and provide a reference picture.

Hey there,

I have 3 label variants of the game, all with a slightly different board, but none with that wire:

image.png.14fdc59e764e2388485b04346715b8c2.png

image.png.5b25d9c612b7de08af856fc9ad29cb4c.png

image.png.7152010956825df26a8cd8b225edf6fc.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's quite possible this was a repair done by an authorized service center or even in the factory during quality control.  Not saying it's not a home repair job, but it may very well be from "official" channels.  

This absolutely should not harm the value though, unless you are selling to someone who's extremely anal about condition, as the chips are clearly thr original ROM chips and not EPROMs.