IGNORED

Maze game

fcgamer

A few weeks back I had to work on Saturday, so I decided to prepare a fun little lesson for my class. I drew up a grid, copied it, printed off some game tiles and then had my students create their own stages for a simple Pac-Man style Famicom game. To keep things (slightly) related to learning English, I opted that the collectibles were letters of the alphabet. 

Needless to say, my supervisor was quite surprised when my class gifted her / the school a functional copy of the game in Famicom format. 

If you'd like more information about the project, you can read about it below. Enjoy!

https://open.substack.com/pub/tvgameformosa/p/edutainment-maze-game

IMG20231003151533.jpg

game_050.png

game_051.png

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Seriously smart move, good job on that.  Those kids sucked that up and ran with some pretty smart design (Especially) for their age group as that works.

I know people like to groan over dave's posts, but take a few and skim the article about the design as it's pretty smart.

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted

That was a good read and actually a very cool project.  I think it's great that you did this with students, involving them in the process and then showing off the completed project / game.

Stuff like this is awesome and I'd love to see more of it!

• Love 1

On 10/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, Tanooki said:

Seriously smart move, good job on that.  Those kids sucked that up and ran with some pretty smart design (Especially) for their age group as that works.

Yeah, they had a lot of fun with it. It was really funny, everyone was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop, that's how involved they were. 😉

On 10/4/2023 at 8:24 PM, dale_coop said:

Great work! Love it. Working with kids, letting them designing stages with simple instructions is very fun.

Yes, I took some inspiration from the games you and your son have done, well the idea of having my little students get involved for a project like this. 

I think this is so fun to provide kids with the opportunity to make some games, just like how we all had such dreams as a kid. I know my brother and I both drew out tons of games on paper.

On 10/4/2023 at 9:41 PM, spacepup said:

That was a good read and actually a very cool project.  I think it's great that you did this with students, involving them in the process and then showing off the completed project / game.

Stuff like this is awesome and I'd love to see more of it!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear such kind words 🙂

I'm fortunate, this class is very smart, and a real pleasure to teach. So it was a lot of fun working with them on this, and I'm quite proud of everyone. For reference, I've been fortunate enough to work with this class since the students were three or four years old, now they're about six. Everyone has grown so much, and I'm not just talking in a physical way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1