IGNORED

PSA - Scams - the latest attempts by criminal poltroons to separate people from their money.

Tabonga

This is the latest one I have heard of:

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/aurora-police-warn-scam-contactless-payment-area-gas-stations/

Thought it would be a good place for people to post ones they are aware of - others here will likely be interested in order to protect themselves.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to PSA - Scams - the latest attempts by criminal poltroons to separate people from their money.
8 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

This is the latest one I have heard of:

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/aurora-police-warn-scam-contactless-payment-area-gas-stations/

Thought it would be a good place for people to post ones they are aware of - others here will likely be interested in order to protect themselves.

Cash is always best when pumping gas. If at any time the payment area looks compromised, damaged or altered, I let the attendant know and move on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

Got a really pathetic attempt via an email this morning.  Purportedly from the USPS about an un-deliverable  package with the wrong address,  And please click the link to verify my address. 

Complete with a non standard USPS tracking number and strange email address.  They did use USPS logos but this thing was even more bogus than the Nigerian oil minister's widow ones.   

It did have an eye catching subject line "You have an unopened surprise."

Edited by Tabonga

9 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Got a really pathetic attempt via an email this morning.  Purportedly from the USPS about an un-deliverable  package with the wrong address,  And please click the link to verify my address. 

Complete with a non standard USPS tracking number and strange email address.  They did use USPS logos but this thing was even more bogus than the Nigerian oil minister's widow ones.   

It did have an eye catching subject line "You have an unopened surprise."

I never click any links in my emails from the various entities I utilize.  I always go to whatever known portal I use to normally interact with them to check for whatever thing is being suggested through the email in question.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I never click any links in my emails from the various entities I utilize.  I always go to whatever known portal I use to normally interact with them to check for whatever thing is being suggested through the email in question.

I don't either - but I do like to see what tricks they are up to - some of them are pretty clever  - unlike this one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all heard or seen the "Violin Scam"?

Basically, if you see someone in a parking lot with a violin, panhandling, it's a scam.  My wife and I have now seen this twice in the past year, and it's not just local to where we are.  Basically, people find a cheap, old violin.  They then not-so-subtly hide a speaker in something like a back pack and then "play" the violin.  Of course, it's just a CD.

I'm just curious if you guys have seen this.  I'm not entire sure they've fooled anyone, but they do get sympathy cash.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RH said:

Y'all heard or seen the "Violin Scam"?

Basically, if you see someone in a parking lot with a violin, panhandling, it's a scam.  My wife and I have now seen this twice in the past year, and it's not just local to where we are.  Basically, people find a cheap, old violin.  They then not-so-subtly hide a speaker in something like a back pack and then "play" the violin.  Of course, it's just a CD.

I'm just curious if you guys have seen this.  I'm not entire sure they've fooled anyone, but they do get sympathy cash.

You've just started seeing this now? Your scammers are behind a few years in your area 🤣

Seen it outside of supermarkets before. I thought it was an interesting way for someone to make money, but I did not realize it was a scam. Just enjoyed the music and moved on.

One of the bigger scammers on the street that I remember seeing is this guy:

Just insane...