IGNORED

Uses for intact NES system lockout chip

Koopa64

Like many, I am a fan of disabling the lockout chip in NES Front Loaders. Not just cutting pin 4, but going further and removing the 10NES chip and adding a couple wires and resistors to make the system function like a Famicom. I understand doing this will fix some official licensed multi-cart games like SMB/DH/WCTM but also allow Nintendo World Championships 90 to work as well. This 10NES removal mod I found over at the nesdev forum.

https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?p=196881#p196881

spacer.png

What I'd like to know, is there any actual reason to keep an NES with its original lockout chip? Anything unlicensed that relies on it? Because I've tried the Aladdin Deck Enhancer on a 10NES-less Front Loader system and it works fine. Camerica carts also work fine with the lockout switch in Position B.

Otherwise, I think I'll just continue removing lockout chips from NES Front Loader consoles.

IMG_5893.JPG

Edited by Koopa64

• 3 months later...

I would argue that it's a LOT simpler just to cut the one pin, but that does look good on the board. Though wouldn't making an add on board via PCBWay make a cleaner overall project?  It'd cut out the connecting wires entirely at the very least.

I think it's cool you figured that out, but I don't see the appeal of doing more work and having it look like a bit of a mess (no offense intended).  Not to mention the cost of components...not that anything there is super pricey or anything, but clipping the chip is more or less free.

• 1 month later...

I still want to make a tiny mod board for this. I just can't be bothered to disassemble my Nintendo.

I've never been much of a fan of snipping pin 4. I think the only thing that's stopping me from doing this to my Nintendo permanently is that I sometimes make homebrew carts and need to make sure that I programmed the CIC correctly.