IGNORED

Game Boy hang tags -- WATA new cases

I've got some sealed games I'd like to send to WATA but I can't quite figure out what they do with the plastic hanging tabs.  I can't find any examples online and it looks like, with their new cases, that there isn't any room for these tabs.  I kinda like these -- I'd rather keep them attached.

Anybody know?   (pokemon blue in new case for an example)

PXL_20230613_030627198.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Isn't the act of bending them though doing damage to the packaging as it came from the store?  And even if that is retail added, bending them will due to the glue put stress on the wrap pulling away at it stretching over time if not perhaps pushing in slowly on the actual box itself.  That seems really REALLY stupid.  But it's WATA, par for the course from the man fined into the million+ range for the same scam on coins a couple decades back.

58 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Isn't the act of bending them though doing damage to the packaging as it came from the store?  And even if that is retail added, bending them will due to the glue put stress on the wrap pulling away at it stretching over time if not perhaps pushing in slowly on the actual box itself.  That seems really REALLY stupid.  But it's WATA, par for the course from the man fined into the million+ range for the same scam on coins a couple decades back.

I mean, you can throw shade at Wata, but VGA does it too.  I use to have a sealed and graded copy of Final Fantasy Adventure that that a hang tab.  It was in the case the same way.

If I had to venture a guess, the reasoning might be that most of these hang tabs already bend down, like the ones in OP's post.  You probably want to push it down in the direction it wants to go so the tension secures it in the case, rather than creating a flap that is pushing it up and against the direction it wants to bend. 

Bending down in that case is better than bending up.  There's also the option of designing a case that let's it hang in open air, but with enough time, that could be problematic too.  With enough time and handling, vibrations may make the plastic weak and it might break, especially if it's already brittle from old age.  VGS/Wata would probably NOT have a game graded 9.8 and in 10  years a piece of it break off in the case.  Instead, affixing the hangtab down (or up) is probably better.

By reason, I think pushing the flap down makes sense unless you designed a super special case to hold the hang tab exactly as it is, in place at it's current angle that it wants to be at during the time it's submitted for grading.  However, that would be a bit too much custom work and I can see why that's not feasible nor should be a customer expectation.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Are you getting Jeff from Go-Collect confused with Deniz and Ken that started WATA? Or did I miss something?

lol

If you want to keep the plastic hanger, here is what I know regarding the grading companies and how they deal with it:

Wata = folds the plastic hangers down 90 degs

CGC = folds the plastic hangers down 90 degs EXCEPT for Sega Genesis.  They have a custom well/holder for that system ONLY, which allows the hanger to stand upright.

image.png

VGA= folds the plastic hanger down 90 degrees UNLESS you ask for and pay extra for the special hangtab rail case (basically a notch cut in the top rail), which allows the hanger to stand upright:

unknown.png

No photo description available.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...