IGNORED

Original Xbox Kiosk Questions

Hello everyone!

It has been quite a time for me in the last few years. Life hit me pretty hard leading me to sell my entire collection and I dropped off the map. After some reflection and thought I am slowly dipping my toes back into collecting starting with my favorite system and maybe branching out from there.

Yesterday I came across a post on Facebook marketplace that seemed to be a positive omen for my desire to get back into the collecting scene. I reached out to the lady and was able to secure this beauty for what I thought was a great price. 

Got it sort of working...it has a couple bulbs that are burned out, and it came with a modded console that shuts off after 30 seconds. Not sure why. I still need to drill out the tubular locks and replace them as they didn't have a key. Also need to get some replacement controllers to swap out since the ones on there are trashed.

Lady I got it from said her nephew worked at Best Buy back in the day and saved it from being sent back/scrapped, took it to her house, and it's been there ever since. I should also add this thing is probably 7ft tall and weighs like 300lbs. I was by myself with a hand truck and this was on the second floor of this lady's house. I took it one step at a time and scooted my butt down each stair trying not to drop this thing as it went down each step. By far the heaviest gaming item I have owned, and I previously owned the other version of the Xbox kiosk when I lived in AZ.

My question is, does anyone have this version and can help me understand the function/setup of the wires in the kiosk/ how to get the reset button to work? Or why the Xbox shuts off so quickly? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20230611_160250_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230611_194456_HDR~2.jpg

• Wow! 1
  • Love 2

Administrator · Posted

Hey there Mr. Toupee!  I don't know anything about xbox kiosks, but just wanted to say I'm glad to see ya and hope you are doing well.  Life takes us all sorts of interesting places, but that collecting gene seems to have a magnetic pull on us that keeps us reeled in after a while! 🙂

In some ways, it can be sad, thinking of what we had.  But in other ways, it is like starting all over again, but with much more experience to know what you are getting into and what interests you.  

Welcome to round 2!

• Thanks 1

Hey there. I have that kiosk (and live in the same city, coincidentally enough). 

I don't have any immediate answers to your questions but I figured I'd drop by and mention that I do own it. Maybe we can learn about this thing from each other.

My reset button isn't connected either. Really awesome that you have the original Microsoft CRT. Mine didn't include that and I've struggled to find the perfect 20" one to replace it.

I believe the light inside the box at the top (the backlight for the "Xbox" above the CRT) is wired separately from the rest of the lights, so maybe yours isn't burnt out. Maybe you just need to get it connected?
image.png.185df95bec490b9a739decc58a08375d.png

I can only speculate what makes the Xbox itself turn off, but I know there's a battery or something that leaks out onto the motherboard in a lot of Xbox's, mine included, and it causes weird things to happen. Like my Xbox can't be turned off with the button anymore, I have to turn its power strip off every time. And as soon as I turn the power strip on, the console turns on.
If you need me to get any specific pictures of the wires or tell you where something goes, let me know. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BirdDogGaming said:

Hey there. I have that kiosk (and live in the same city, coincidentally enough). 

I don't have any immediate answers to your questions but I figured I'd drop by and mention that I do own it. Maybe we can learn about this thing from each other.

My reset button isn't connected either. Really awesome that you have the original Microsoft CRT. Mine didn't include that and I've struggled to find the perfect 20" one to replace it.

I believe the light inside the box at the top (the backlight for the "Xbox" above the CRT) is wired separately from the rest of the lights, so maybe yours isn't burnt out. Maybe you just need to get it connected?
image.png.185df95bec490b9a739decc58a08375d.png

I can only speculate what makes the Xbox itself turn off, but I know there's a battery or something that leaks out onto the motherboard in a lot of Xbox's, mine included, and it causes weird things to happen. Like my Xbox can't be turned off with the button anymore, I have to turn its power strip off every time. And as soon as I turn the power strip on, the console turns on.
If you need me to get any specific pictures of the wires or tell you where something goes, let me know. 

Cool! I was able to get into the top section and found the bulb was burned out. Bulb is also burned out in the console area too. I'll probably buy a new fixture that is LED instead for the top just for heat and power reasons.

Does your Xbox have any kiosk-y markings? Mine was just a used GameStop console from the price sticker that was stuck to it. 

How is the console hooked up? The reset button connects to a box with an S-VHS out plug and then has an S-video plug coming out of it. 

Do your lights in the tubes pulse or are they solid? Mine pulse and I wasn't sure if that's normal as other ones I've seen are solid.

My kiosk was an Offerup pickup a few years ago with no CRT or console, so I just installed my own console. Therefore, no special markings or kiosk demo discs or anything exciting. 
I’m glad you brought the S-video box up because I have it but I haven’t messed with it at all. Makes sense. Already learning from you! 

None of my lights pulse, they’re all solid. 

I have a short video on YouTube if you wanna skim through it to compare it to yours 

Does your cooling fan work? I was kind of surprised mine still worked

1 hour ago, BirdDogGaming said:

My kiosk was an Offerup pickup a few years ago with no CRT or console, so I just installed my own console. Therefore, no special markings or kiosk demo discs or anything exciting. 
I’m glad you brought the S-video box up because I have it but I haven’t messed with it at all. Makes sense. Already learning from you! 

None of my lights pulse, they’re all solid. 

I have a short video on YouTube if you wanna skim through it to compare it to yours 

Does your cooling fan work? I was kind of surprised mine still worked

It does. 

Were you able to get into the top compartment? I noticed the lock still on. Mine didn't have the key to any of the locks so I had to drill one of them out. I want to get new ones, but tracking down the size has been tricky. When I got into the top compartment I found the original screw drivers to the kiosk,  which was cool to see.

IMG_20230612_125032_HDR.jpg

Wow that is awesome! It's never even crossed my mind to get into that top box compartment. I guess one day I'll have to drill it out as well to replace the bulb. 

I don't have that "The Xbox Advantage" sticker, along with two of the three on the back of yours. Really cool to see! 

That Property of Xbox sticker is on the CRT? So dang cool.

42 minutes ago, BirdDogGaming said:

Wow that is awesome! It's never even crossed my mind to get into that top box compartment. I guess one day I'll have to drill it out as well to replace the bulb. 

I don't have that "The Xbox Advantage" sticker, along with two of the three on the back of yours. Really cool to see! 

That Property of Xbox sticker is on the CRT? So dang cool.

Yes, the sticker is on the CRT. The only other thing in the top compartment was access to the screws that hold onto the light. I'm planning to replace it with an LED because it was rusted in the front compartment where the sign is illuminated.

I re-watched your video and noticed I don't have the pin for the shelf. I'm wondering if maybe yours is aftermarket/custom since I don't even see holes for one to me installed in mine...

Screenshot_20230615-204629.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All, 

A month late to the party, but i happened to be googling around when i stumbled upon this thread and thought i'd sign up and spread the joy of owning this kiosk...  I acquired this kiosk back in December, had it delivered in March and have been obsessed with it ever since.  In order to get it to the basement, i basically stripped it down piece by piece to get it down there, while cleaning it up and even replacing all the screws with new versions.   So i feel like a bit of an expert on this beast. 

image.png.b5ee4cf2f8fcabf508287f3c8f5ca4ea.png

One of the bottom tubes had its lower LED wire torn off, so i spent a few days rewiring all of the LEDs just to upgrade the wiring and ensure they were all good.  I've also spent the past month or two modding the snot out of my xbox... still a work in progress but getting closer!

To answer some questions that were posted already, here's a photo of the box that came with mine for the power unit

image.png.41bb410ebc8168928c75cfb5012c041b.png

I dont have the best photo of the AV cable, but it's a modified cable

image.png.fbbb8d9c9c82b809b98cfc124a4bd590.png

One thing i noticed is that plugging in the button which does the reset, it has to be plugged in very tightly, otherwise mine would restart if I bumped the kiosk... so starting any game and handling the controller would cause it to restart, but i just had to make sure it's really plugged in all the way. and it's been good.

As far as Keys go... they are actually dirt cheap if you know where to look.  and i'm not sure the rules about posting links, so to save on that, there's a company out there called ultimate security devices.  if you google them, then search their site for "1001 Mini tubular (barrel ) key"... you'll find them for like 4 bucks.   Now the site says they are on back order, but i ordered 6 and they shipped them out that day.  got them a few days later and they were perfect.  These keys are supposed to be good for all US based original xbox kiosks, but it does depend on if someone swapped the locks or not on your kiosk as folks tend to do that. 

I could go on and on, but this is my first post so i'll stop the novel there.  Feel free to shoot any other questions my way!  I'll do my best to answer what i can!

• Wow! 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, anotherRetroGuy said:

Hey All, 

A month late to the party, but i happened to be googling around when i stumbled upon this thread and thought i'd sign up and spread the joy of owning this kiosk...  I acquired this kiosk back in December, had it delivered in March and have been obsessed with it ever since.  In order to get it to the basement, i basically stripped it down piece by piece to get it down there, while cleaning it up and even replacing all the screws with new versions.   So i feel like a bit of an expert on this beast. 

image.png.b5ee4cf2f8fcabf508287f3c8f5ca4ea.png

One of the bottom tubes had its lower LED wire torn off, so i spent a few days rewiring all of the LEDs just to upgrade the wiring and ensure they were all good.  I've also spent the past month or two modding the snot out of my xbox... still a work in progress but getting closer!

To answer some questions that were posted already, here's a photo of the box that came with mine for the power unit

image.png.41bb410ebc8168928c75cfb5012c041b.png

I dont have the best photo of the AV cable, but it's a modified cable

image.png.fbbb8d9c9c82b809b98cfc124a4bd590.png

One thing i noticed is that plugging in the button which does the reset, it has to be plugged in very tightly, otherwise mine would restart if I bumped the kiosk... so starting any game and handling the controller would cause it to restart, but i just had to make sure it's really plugged in all the way. and it's been good.

As far as Keys go... they are actually dirt cheap if you know where to look.  and i'm not sure the rules about posting links, so to save on that, there's a company out there called ultimate security devices.  if you google them, then search their site for "1001 Mini tubular (barrel ) key"... you'll find them for like 4 bucks.   Now the site says they are on back order, but i ordered 6 and they shipped them out that day.  got them a few days later and they were perfect.  These keys are supposed to be good for all US based original xbox kiosks, but it does depend on if someone swapped the locks or not on your kiosk as folks tend to do that. 

I could go on and on, but this is my first post so i'll stop the novel there.  Feel free to shoot any other questions my way!  I'll do my best to answer what i can!

Great info and thanks for posting! So does the AV cable connect to the reset button? I'm confused how that all hooks up and functions...

Apologies for the delay, but i took some photos to show the connections and hopefully explain how it all hooks up, its hard to take a photo to show it all.

BUT FIRST, THE KEY!

Original Xbox Kiosk Key LINK

So that should be good for just about all the original xbox kiosks... again unless someones swapped the locks.

now, i tried to take some photos and put together a horrible little diagram of how i have things hooked up.  

image.jpeg.bd56d4fa40af1b958e8cd639c343273c.jpeg

So, i'll start with the xbox cable... it's a modified cable... and it plugs into the xbox like a normal AV cable, but it not only has the standard RCA but also an 8 pin connector.  That 8 pin connector connects to the one side of the APU.  The RCA's connect to the TV.  ( i dont bother with the video signal, just do the audio for now).

The APU has 4 connectors, the 8 PIN coming from the xbox, then a small headphone jack style plug which is what goes to the reset button.  An S-Video Output, and the DC Input.

Here's a closup of the reset button.  it's a standard arcade looking button which hits the switch and leads to the headphone looking jack.

image.jpeg.b609587481d3b90fb8af30f5998042da.jpeg

image.jpeg.909a854e1c891b935af2c950eccf57f7.jpeg

For the DC input thats a fairly standard plug.  The S-video is also just a standard s-video cable.  

and thats about it.  

what i'd love to do someday is figure if it's possible to duplicate this APU unit and make copies for folks.  looking at the circuit board it doesn't seem that crazy, but i'm not an expert in that.  

Let me know if this helps or not!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, anotherRetroGuy said:

Apologies for the delay, but i took some photos to show the connections and hopefully explain how it all hooks up, its hard to take a photo to show it all.

BUT FIRST, THE KEY!

Original Xbox Kiosk Key LINK

So that should be good for just about all the original xbox kiosks... again unless someones swapped the locks.

now, i tried to take some photos and put together a horrible little diagram of how i have things hooked up.  

image.jpeg.bd56d4fa40af1b958e8cd639c343273c.jpeg

So, i'll start with the xbox cable... it's a modified cable... and it plugs into the xbox like a normal AV cable, but it not only has the standard RCA but also an 8 pin connector.  That 8 pin connector connects to the one side of the APU.  The RCA's connect to the TV.  ( i dont bother with the video signal, just do the audio for now).

The APU has 4 connectors, the 8 PIN coming from the xbox, then a small headphone jack style plug which is what goes to the reset button.  An S-Video Output, and the DC Input.

Here's a closup of the reset button.  it's a standard arcade looking button which hits the switch and leads to the headphone looking jack.

image.jpeg.b609587481d3b90fb8af30f5998042da.jpeg

image.jpeg.909a854e1c891b935af2c950eccf57f7.jpeg

For the DC input thats a fairly standard plug.  The S-video is also just a standard s-video cable.  

and thats about it.  

what i'd love to do someday is figure if it's possible to duplicate this APU unit and make copies for folks.  looking at the circuit board it doesn't seem that crazy, but i'm not an expert in that.  

Let me know if this helps or not!

This should be the lock, right?

https://www.ultimatesecuritydevices.com/Miniature-Tubular-barrel-Cam-Lock-38-inch-cylinder-length-keyed-alike_p_465.html

All my locks need to be replaced...

I'd have to go and measure my locks, according to the comments on them, the keys included are stamped with 1001, which is what my keys are stamped with... and it says it's a 4 pin, which is what mine is... if i get some time i can try to pull one of my locks off and measure them.

and yeah the cable would be tough to find in the wild, but i have seen them pop up in the past, sometimes on ebay by folks who dont realize what it is.  i know one guy bought one awhile back thinking it was an svideo out, not realizing it was an 8 pin connector... just gotta keep an eye out for one to pop up.

might be able to find a schematic online if anyones ever figured the wiring pinout out on it, and make one... i'm still in the middle of modding my xbox to go in there, but someday i'd like to see if i could build a new apu unit... but i'm not sure when that'll be

• 2 weeks later...

Went ahead and ordered a key so I could have a look inside the mystery box up top and it did not disappoint! 

image.png.21c49b8796526efec2c406e6edf1cdbd.png

I never thought I would have these controller arms, so I'm obviously over the moon about finding them in there! 

Nice to find the power and audio(?) cables for the green Auto Power-Up Unit, though my current CRT in it doesn't support S-Video, so I still can't use it. Still looking for the perfect 20" monitor to replace it.

And hey, look at that - the outer sleeve for a Demo Disk! No disk included but I'll be making an eBay saved search for sure. I don't see any Version 2.0's listed at the moment.

My biggest question now is what that little handlebar is for. It has two threaded holes. Anyone know?

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

That is absolutely awesome!   I lucked out in a similar regard, the top of my kiosk had somehow been smacked inward and the door was stuck, so the previous owner wasn't able to get in there.  After he sold it to me i spent a bit working on it and managed to get it opened, and found, just like you the arm brackets.  so awesome!

Based on your photo, That does look like the audio cable that i have.  The demo disks do pop up on eBay a bit, some for cheap, some for not cheap but having the sleeve already is a bonus.  that ac adapter looks like the one for the APU which is awesome.  Now for the brackets and the handlebar thing...

I'm adding a photo i threw together of all the parts related to the controller brackets.

image.jpeg.fef50eeb995dd4084b3982fa6e8dffd1.jpeg

Going in "order"... there are two mounting brackets.  The screws they use are basically 1/4-20, half inch square  screws, but honestly any screw with a nut will hold the brackets in there.  these seem to be missing the most.

Next, that "little handlebar" is a bracket of sorts that holds onto the controller bracket... holder thing.

now realizing that the controller holder image may be a bit small to see so here's a larger one

image.jpeg.cc9b88891cf7b4d8d839d468110b47c4.jpeg

The ones i have are for the S controller...  there is a different styled one for the duke controllers.  those are hard to come by.  I have a photo somewhere but cant seem to find it right now.  story goes that most if not all the kiosks had the duke controllers but then they were swapped out for the s-type controllers, and not many of the duke holders seem to be floating around. 

So you need the screws (unless they are floating around), another handlebar bracket, but also the 2 controller holders.  the controller brackets you do have, they can at least hang onto the controller via the memory card ports.. but may want to be careful that it doesn't get damaged from being used like that.  

not sure how hard it'll be to come by the holders.

• Like 2

Your images are incredibly useful. Anyone Googling down the road is gonna be grateful for these.

I appreciate all this info! I had a feeling something was missing, that's a shame. I do think I'll be able to make it work regardless.

Also, forgot to mention, but my bag of two screwdrivers was also in that top compartment 👍

Overall, looks like your Kiosk was incredibly complete. Congratulations on that awesome purchase. Any demo disks come with yours?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello All!

My name is Karl. On instagram i go by @Retrogamingzone

I recently got one of these kiosks, and have been in the process of hooking it up! I am so excited to own one of these get get it working 100%. Big thank you to @BirdDogGaming for sending me to this forum. I think it's great that everyone has been so helpful here and am thankful for all the information shared here so far. 

This thing was so heavy! Thankfully the seller broke it down for me into its two parts already. Also grateful for the two friends who also helped me carry both parts (especially that base!) up a flight of stairs in my house.  

Here is a picture of it all together. I am especially excited as the seller I got this from had the original CRT as well. 

20231203_164110.jpg.675ff4f30b9063bbfd9fb4c11db1654b.jpg

I did have a few questions, as it seems as if my kiosk came with parts that I did not see referenced yet in this thread. I know this kiosk was used at various events and display installations over the years, so it could be they got tossed into the compartment randomly, but i just figured Id ask. One item is a weird looking black AC plug, and another is a White RGB controller that I do not have a barrel power plug for:

20231205_184047.jpg.8d02dc653d59fb79dc1668cacc3fcf5c.jpg20231205_181110.jpg.56df6092654253a6591778fe3a833cc4.jpg

Curious if anyone has come into these in their kiosks?

• Like 2

Two more questions!

two of my tubes light solid, while two other ones light up in a pulsing pattern. Is there a reason or fix for this?

Lastly, how/where do I connect this thin two pin wire that is attached to one of the LED wires, and what goes into the similar looking spot on the LED control board? Photo below:

20231205_182720.jpg.fdddbc97514c2a61bc1d1b963f722d2f.jpg

Besides this, i was able to hookup the reset button and have it working thanks to the awesome diagram by @anotherRetroGuy - thanks!!!!!! I also need to order one of those keys. Maybe my demo disc in inside of the top compartment!

I have some minor work to do to two of the wires in the setup to get it 100% functional, but i am very excited to own this kiosk!

• Like 1

Hey Hey, Grats on the Kiosk!  I just think they are an absolute blast to have.

That said... i do not have either of those in mine...  

I'm thinking that the white one was probably used for extra led lights they maybe had strung up at one of those events...  as for the plug, that looks a bit older looking and i'm not sure what it'd specifically be used for... almost like an appliance plug... 

*Edit to add that i'm referencing the photos of the power cable and the white adapter guy.

I'm about to head off from work and when i get home i'll check the photos i have of the box that powers the LEDs... might be helpful

Edited by anotherRetroGuy

@anotherRetroGuy thanks! ok cool. I can put them aside then. and thank you for your willingness to check your kiosk out tonight! I'm hyped to get to work on the minor fixings i need to get it fully functional and also am going to order the key asap. This is so exciting. I've wanted this kiosk for as long as ive been collecting. So happy my buddy who had it sitting in his garage for a while finally decided to sell me it. 

Edited by Retrogamingzone
  • Like 1