IGNORED

DS Pokemon fakes are getting better

Just something I saw today I think anyone buying DS pokemon games should be aware of. I know a quick legitimacy check was to hold a like to the cart as the real ones are translucent. It seems the fakes have now copied the plastic used. Just like N64 shells fixing the “i” on the back plastic. Fakes are getting better 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well they copied the plastic, that was a move in the right direction if they're working to make a 1:1 exterior copy which really is surprising it took this long.  Blowing up that image though, while the sticker looks right too, it is missing the Nintendo letters in the oval, and I can' ttell if they're finally copying stamp codes which is the laziest easiest thing to do.

The mods bought the games less than a day ago, so in a few weeks to a month they'll have them and play test the things to see if they're reliable and worked out the other usual problems with the pokewalker, up generation transfers, etc.

I welcome DS, 3DS and Switch counterfeits.

Since these games have flash memory, they will fail eventually. I have a good few DS and 3DS games that look fine on the outside but they don’t work.

Now I’ve seen people repair some DS/3DS carts by cutting them open and reflowing the solder on the chip. So can’t speak to whether they need to be resoldered or if they are truly dead. But even a resoldering repair means you have to cut the plastic cart shell in half and glue it back together.

If newer gen cartridge games on flash chips are truly dying from bit rot, then that kinda takes all the fun out of collecting them. And I can’t defend the rules of the hobby for a console generation that has such a serious problem 

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well yeah totally the price is a #1 outside factor, but that post above is equally correct, the silent creeping death not clearly addressed.  If they really are just poor chips that fail after say a decade or two at most seeing the issues with WiiUs, DS and 3DS stuff it's like how do you defend the collecting unless you really are just into being a shelf queen of broken goods or just sealed goods.  In that case almost sealed makes the most sense which is twisted because if it's untouched you can't prove it committed seppuku in the packaging.

This sounds similar to the degradation happening with some disc based games (such as disc rot). When I first heard about it, it reminded me of the big box dos games I collect. I have no idea if any of those 3 1/2 or 5 1/4 disks work, nor do I care. I bought them to have them on the shelf and for all the cool extras they came with years ago. I just play the actual games in dosbox. Not the original hardware, but it’s a price I’m willing to pay instead of spending my time tinkering with 40 year old pc hardware. 

In comparison, I think we’ve been very lucky in the console scene overall. Most of the original hardware still works with little repair (in general), same with the games. 

• Agree 1