IGNORED

Abbreviations suggestions

BlackVega

It can also casually mean "no," so, I mean...so what?  The various abbreviations and acronyms that are recognized by the system are video game based, much like the site.  If you use an abbreviation commonly used in video game circles in a different manner (such as NA for North America as you mentioned), I'm fairly certain that 99% of people reading your post will pick up what you mean via context.  If you wrote about how between the 1500s and 1800s millions of people immigrated to NA, I doubt anyone will think you're talking about NintendoAge.  😉

• Haha 1

Social Team · Posted
On 3/25/2023 at 9:48 AM, BlackVega said:

I noticed when you hover the mouse cursor over an abbreviation you get a tip on what it means. I noticed NA is described as NintendoAge, which is correct but NA can also mean North America

I think the abbreviations have been suggested or been made due to people asking what something means multiple times.  I know I was one who probably asked about what NA means because I wasn't a prior NA user.  I came from SA (ScrewAttack) but no one here talks about them.  If you look there was a thread going over suggested for explaining abbreviations.  There was a lot of debate for CIB being Complete In Box or Cart Instructions Box.  LOT of debate about what is "complete"  Do you include the foam, what about the ad inserts? 

• 2 weeks later...

NA as North America does seem like something that would be frequently used in video game context when talking about regions, especially among collectors which there are a lot of here. And I can see why someone going curiously "why is there and underline, lets see what the mouseover says - wait "NintendoAge"? what?" would be pretty confused, even if the meaning is probably still clear. At least it does come across like an error.

Again, not really much of an issue, but it would be easily fixed by allowing multiple translations for each abbreviation, just for the sake of clarity.

Edited by Sumez

• 4 weeks later...