IGNORED

how does the "You received an offer" notifications on eBay work?

final fight cd

I haven't sold anything on eBay in forever.  But when I watch an item with a BIN it seems more times than not I get the "You received an offer" notification.   Clicking on the message says "other buyers may have received this offer..."  Based on the verbiage I can only assume not everybody receives the offer, but I don't know.  Also, is this offer coming from the seller or is it coming from eBay and eBay will just eat the cost? 

How exactly does all this work? 

54 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

I haven't sold anything on eBay in forever.  But when I watch an item with a BIN it seems more times than not I get the "You received an offer" notification.   Clicking on the message says "other buyers may have received this offer..."  Based on the verbiage I can only assume not everybody receives the offer, but I don't know.  Also, is this offer coming from the seller or is it coming from eBay and eBay will just eat the cost? 

How exactly does all this work? 

The offer is just giving the seller the option to discount their price for watchers.  eBay itself has nothing to do with the offer.  It’s basically as if you revised your listing at a lower price except that the new price is only sent to watchers.  The “other buyers” thing is just suggesting that there may be other watchers who also got offered the discounted price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I'm interested in an item and they don't have the "make an offer" option, I always watch the item for a few days to see if they send me an offer.  It happens fairly often and I've saved a lot of money on things that I was planning on buying anyway.  It helps to be patient and not just click on buy now.  

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

If I'm interested in an item and they don't have the "make an offer" option, I always watch the item for a few days to see if they send me an offer.  It happens fairly often and I've saved a lot of money on things that I was planning on buying anyway.  It helps to be patient and not just click on buy now.  

This works pretty well - about half of the things I watch (especially if they have been listed awhile) I get an offer from the seller -  a lot of the time it is quite a bit lower than I would have offered.