IGNORED

Proud Dad Moment

Last night, my youngest son came up and said he was looking for a game.  He said it was a Mario game where you throw dice and Bowser chases you.  I assumed it was Mario Party because of the dice, and both of my kids Play Super Mario Party on Switch all the time.  But he insisted that wasn't the game.  I looked through all of my Switch games because that's all they really know (they are only 6 and 8 years old).  I couldn't find anything so I Googled Mario, Dice and Bowser Chasing.  The results came up with Mario Party 10 for the Wii U (which I've never played) and my son immediately recognized it as the game he was looking for.  I found out that he had been watching YouTube on his tablet and saw several videos of the "Bowser Party" part of the game.  That's where the interest came from.  So I go to my game shelf and sure enough I own it.  It was still sealed since I had never played it.  We opened it and fired up the old Wii U.  We played it for hours and had a ton of fun.  Being able to play as Bowser with the game pad was a lot of fun. 

The reason I shared this story is because it felt really great for one of my kinds to ask about an older game they just learned about on YouTube and we were able to pick it right off the shelf and play it.  If you ever have any doubts about whether it's crazy to have such a collection of games, this is the type of thing that makes it feel right.  It was also a nice reminder that the Wii U isn't completely dead or obsolete despite what Nintendo might want us to think.  I'm not aware of any other way to specifically play "Bowser's Party," but maybe I'm wrong about that.  

• Like 5
  • Love 7

18 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

This hits home for me.  Had some pretty great video game "dad moments" myself.  The boy knows his roots and will occasionally hit me up to play some classics.  He's a Fortnite kid for sure but is usually down to play some Mega Man or SMB.

My kids haven't discovered Fortnite yet.  Their top game right now is probably Minecraft, but they also have a lot of experience with some of the big First Party Switch titles such as Super Mario Party, Mark Kart 8, NSMBU Deluxe, BOTW and Mario Odyssey.  Now that they are getting older, I'm going to start getting them into some of the older stuff.  

You know there is just something awesome when you see your kids playing games, especially something you grew up with and really enjoying it.

I remember the first time my son made that first big jump on Super Mario Bros.  The way we celebrated you’d think we just won the lottery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lago said:

You know there is just something awesome when you see your kids playing games, especially something you grew up with and really enjoying it.

I remember the first time my son made that first big jump on Super Mario Bros.  The way we celebrated you’d think we just won the lottery.

I get this.  It’s easy to mock videos of kids trying our old games for the first time but there really is something perfect about the design of the first 10 seconds of SMB.  I’ll raise my hand and say I hit the first Goomba the first time I played the game.  I jumped too fast.  Second life, the Goomba on the platform hit me on the platform as I was learning the ropes.  What’s brilliant is that this was both annoyingly frustrating but the compulsion to try again was so strong.  It did feel cheap… but it made you want to master it.  

There’s something that crosses generations having an experience like that and then seeing your kids do the exact same thing and have the exact same thought. It’s really awesome.

• Like 1

Mario maker and Zelda BOTW are huge games for my kids.  One son was determined to play the game after watching me beat it but he wasn't able to read yet.  Needed lots of help in the beginning -- but by the tie he finished he was fully capable on his own.

Other kids weren't quite sure how I kept winning at Mario Kart.  They finally outed me with an incredulous "Have you played this before?!?"  :)'  

• Like 1