IGNORED

Recommend Me Some Headphones

Lago

Ok.  I’ve rarely ever played games online.  When I did it was primarily SMB 35 on the Switch.  Still wishing they’d bring that back.

Anyway, there’s a few games I’d like to try playing online, Shredder’s Revenge anyone? But I don’t have a clue about headphones.

I would like for them to work across systems. I’ve got the PS5, Switch, PC, and might get the XBox. I guess if I wanted to talk they’d need a microphone too.  If at all possible I would like the price point to be $100 or less.

Recommendations?

And TIA.

Edited by Lago
Added microphone

I did quite a bit of digging for something that's still wired, didn't want bluetooth so i could use it between my various handheld devices and one that really stood out big time both for price but as much so quality the steelseries arctis.  It has some really great volume etc controls on one of the headpieces, detachable mic if you hate having that in your face all the time, switches for that to be on/off, etc.  They're very sturdy, and very comfortable.

• Like 1

MMX 100: Closed-Back Gaming Headset | beyerdynamic

MMX 300: Premium gaming headset | beyerdynamic

I don't have either of these, but I do have the Beyerdynamic DT-990s ( just headphones, no mic, the ones linked have mics tho ) and they're much better than any gaming headset I've used (granted, with the 990s you need a DAC/Amp which is another $100 or so on top of the $100+ for the headphones ) and so I would imagine those should be good.  Build quality is very solid as well as I've had these for 2 years now and they're still holding up.  Not to sound like a salesman for them, but it looks like they're having a sale lol and the MMX100s are $99 w/ free shipping.

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 1

I have a pair of Razer S6CRW headphones.  My wife got them for me a couple of years ago.  They are chargeable and wireless, but what I like about them is they don't have to be--you can plug in a stereo patch cable and never have to even worry about charging them.

I prefer wired over wireless.  I don' t think I've ever used them as a Bluetooth headphone, but I guess it's nice to have the option and the sound is pretty good for my needs.

Since these are a couple of years old, I don't know if they are still available but if the latest upgraded version in this line still has the BT or Wired option, then I'd recommend them.  Oh, the ear pads have already worn out on mine (I wear them 8-9 hours every day while I work, so that wasn't a big issue to me) and finding replacements from China that are good enough wasn't hard.  It was a $10/shipped fix. 

I'm not sure how hardcore you might want to be, but these have been a good everyday-warrior pair that's considerably better than earbuds and they shouldn't break the bank, as I'm sure my wife paid less than $100 for them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use the Samson SR850 over the ear headphones. They are not "finetuned" or "bass pumped up" for gaming since they are for studio monitoring, so they are close to neutral. Very comfortable and durable (3 years so far) since they don't use thin fake leather but some sort of velvety fabric.

They are among the most popular neutral hedaphones for people who don't want to spend too much. And the price seems even lower now (I remember them going for 45 usd, not 35 usd).

They sound neutral, with no added bullshit, which is what they're made to do. You can definitely push the volume up with these things, if that's your thing.

Then I got a small amplifier just for the headphones, in case the source source doesn't push enough juice.

So I plugged all the consoles to an A/V switchbox, where I use mostly just the audio part, and then drive all of them out to a pair of self-powered speakers, and to the headphone amplifier. This lets me choose between speakers and headphones depending on the time of the day and situation.

I got a Douk amplifier which so far works good, no added hum or artifacts.

• Like 1