IGNORED

Going to purchase my first Xbox360, and I need help knowing what's what.

Lynda Monica

I've never owned an Xbox system in my life, but now there's a game for 360 that I really want to play. Having zero experience with Microsoft, I need help knowing what all I need to play the game in question.

First thing's first, which model of Xbox 360 is the one that doesn't break all the time? I know the original model failed constantly, which is why I never bought one in its early years.

The game I want to play is a Kinect game, so I need to know what's involved with that, and if there are better models of the unit similar to the 360 itself. I also need to know what all comes with the Kinect to make it work. As someone who's completely oblivious, is there some sort of glove with sensors that lets the Kinect to detect you? What cords come with the Kinect? These are all unknowns to me.

My final question is if there's a type of controller I shouldn't bother with? I don't want to be tricked into buying the cheapest and worst controller type, only to have to come back and buy the better one.

Any help would be appreciated! I know I could just try and find this all out through Google, but I'll probably get the best answers by asking in here. 🙂

EDIT: I should also mention that I'm not interested in buying the Xbox One, and I'd rather own a 360.

Edited by Lynda Monica

Xbox 360 E is the one you want. Latest model with the least issues. You should be able to hookup the Kinect right to it. Nothing needed except the Kinect, power, and the adapter that hooks up to the Xbox. Not sure if there are different models of it. Grab a Microsoft genuine Xbox controller and your good to go. I use the E myself - the blue version. 

edit: I think Amazon still sells these new lol https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-XBOX-360-Console-Kinect-Sensor/dp/B00D9FQ9CQ

Edited by a3quit4s

The first models really weren't as terrible as people went on and on about if you took proper precautions with them.  While such extra steps weren't really necessary with previous console generations, the heat generated by the PS3/360 generation systems was much greater due to the power output, and all systems of that generation could, and did, have problems with failure due to heat if they weren't properly cared for and/or didn't have additional steps taken to mitigate the heat.  While I wouldn't recommend a first generation model for these reasons, I put an intercooler on the launch model that I bought around 15 years ago and it's still working today, so a red ring isn't guaranteed as long as you keep the vents clear of dust and debris, keep it off the floor, and allow it proper space around it to "breathe" (and adding additional fan power can help increase its lifetime).

I'm not sure of the specific model numbers off the top of my head, I'd recommend picking up any of the models released at the far tail end of the system's lifetime, as more or less all of the quirks had been worked out by that time, and failures were fairly rare unless you specifically abused the system.  The last one I got (gift from a family member so I'd have a non-modified, LIVE capable system) was a Modern Warfare 3 360, and was apparently an "XBox 360 S" version.  It's also still going strong, and never had an intercooler attached, but had also had a lot of board level revisions and improvements over previous versions, so it wasn't nearly as susceptible to heat related issues as the first ones, especially if properly cared for.

There was one more model released after that, the model E, which came out after the laundh of the XBox One, but I don't know that I've ever seen one except online, so I can't say anything about these beyond what's available online.  Per the internet, apparently the biggest difference for most of them is a smaller form factor which matches up to the XBox One, with the first (and majority of) releases using the exact same board as the 360 S.  The last versions used a new board, unique to that version of the system, but I haven't seen anything stating that those ones provided any sort of performance or reliability enhancements, so it was most likely a new board which did a reduced part count for cost savings during manufacturing, with no real benefit to the end user.

In regard to controllers, I'd go for as late a model as possible, as 360 controllers tended to be well used, and with long use they are as susceptible, if not more to dirft than joycons, so better to go with ones have the most likelihood at having lower hours on them when buying used.  If buying new, I'd say whatever strikes your fancy, although I'd recommend OEM over third party nearly all the time, as Microsoft pretty much nailed it with that generation of controllers, and I never encountered any third party ones that felt as good, with many feeling cheap and/or delicate (even if they weren't necessarily).

Hope this helps.

29 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Xbox 360 E is the one you want. Latest model with the least issues. You should be able to hookup the Kinect right to it. Nothing needed except the Kinect, power, and the adapter that hooks up to the Xbox. Not sure if there are different models of it. Grab a Microsoft genuine Xbox controller and your good to go.

Actually, unless she can specifically guarantee an end-stage production 360 E, there's zero difference between the E and S beyond the casing and appearance, as the majority of model E systems actually used the exact same boards that the model S systems did.  It was only at the very end that a different revision was produced, but I couldn't find anything saying that these were somehow more reliable or fixed issues the way earlier revisions did, so it's my educated guess that they were just part count reduced boards manufactured for cheaper production costs and more profit.  If someone can't guarantee that an E is one of those final run systems, I'd say choose between an S and an E based on aesthetics, as well as perhaps any additional accessories that a person wanted to use, as ones that work on the S might night work on the E due to slight physical/size differences.

Edited by darkchylde28
Typo correction.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Like most consoles, you need to take care of them. I owned a 360 Slim for years and I never had an issue with it. Clean the fan, vents etc and it should be fine.

yeah had mine since they came out thats over 10 years and thousands of hours without problems. Just dont get the OG model I had that replaced like 3 times

1 hour ago, 360collector said:

yeah had mine since they came out thats over 10 years and thousands of hours without problems. Just dont get the OG model I had that replaced like 3 times

I also wouldn't recommend them as a first choice, but they can (and do) last, so long as they're taken care of properly (and perhaps babied a little).  Many, many folks shoved the first gen units into tight, compact spots in entertainment centers full of hot gear or stuck them right down on carpet and let them cook themselves to death.  Microsoft didn't do themselves any favors using crap solder and not securing the heatsinks quite flat or properly, but avoiding all that excessive heat will allow those same units to live long, productive lives, like mine has.

• 3 weeks later...