IGNORED

Anyone have knowledge on typically arcade/console/portable based games having unique or exclusive PC/C64 releases in the US?

This is probably a bit too vague or limited scope of a topic to really get any insight on, but one of the criteria in my collecting goals is typically to avoid bothering on PC platforms due to the complications of the platform, as well as of course the lack of physical media in the last decade or so. With that said though, while I don't plan to extend my broader goals onto these platforms (like collecting every Capcom game is one of my goals but I don't plan to do it on these platforms), I suppose I have always had a mild curiosity as to games that may exist within prolific franchises that are unique or exclusive to that platform. As example, there is an exclusive PC release of Atomic Bomberman that I don't believe exist anywhere else, I know the Worms series was prolific there and I know there are at least 2 exclusive Mega Man games that happen to be awful as example.

But my knowledge here is limited at best, so for all I know some amazing version of a Castlevania game, or a shitty but unique version of a Final Fight game, may exist as a US release on these platforms and I would be none the wiser. I figured maybe someone here might have some insight on interesting/unique/exclusive games that might exist on the platform that otherwise were primarily arcade/console/portable releases. If anyone has any trivia or info to share please do!

I don't know about US-only platforms, but I can think of a couple on MSX.

The Gradius series had a subseries on MSX under the Nemesis name. The first I think was a straight Gradius port, but 2 and 3 were originals. I think Nemesis 2 got a PSP port, but mostly stayed on computers.

Zanac saw a simultaneous release on FDS and MSX, but its immediate sequel, Guardic, was MSX only. Guardic's sequel, Guardic Gaiden, was exclusive to Famicom hardware. We got it as The Guardian Legend. 

4 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

But my knowledge here is limited at best, so for all I know some amazing version of a Castlevania game, or a shitty but unique version of a Final Fight game, may exist as a US release on these platforms and I would be none the wiser.

Wasn't a US release, but the MSX version of Castlevania, Vampire Killer, is significantly different from the NES one. I don't know if I would call it "amazing."

Edited by Tulpa

2 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

MSX had the definitive versions of Metal Gear as well right? I don't know a lot about platforms outside the US but I've heard that multiple times.

The NES version is also unbeatable without the pack-in map, I believe due to poor translation of in-game dialogue. In fact, I think early copies may not have even included the map, although I'm not sure about that.

10 hours ago, CasualCart said:

@goldenpp72 I've also wondered about classic arcade games that only got computer ports in the 8-bit / 16-bit era (stuff like Bosconian).

But I don't want to fall into an early-PC gaming rabbit hole, so I mostly pretend that stuff doesn't exist haha.

-CasualCart

Same, I had to wrestle with myself quite a bit to even allow myself to go this far lol, I go for full company sets and other things but I really don't intend to dabble on the PC side much, only if there is something unique really.

Graphics Team · Posted
7 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

Same, I had to wrestle with myself quite a bit to even allow myself to go this far lol, I go for full company sets and other things but I really don't intend to dabble on the PC side much, only if there is something unique really.

Makes sense - it can be a hard facet of the hobby to ignore for sure.

@DefaultGen - you have some pretty solid standards for your PC collection, right? Like significant franchises and childhood favorites and stuff? What do you think is worth pursuing as far as computer games go?

-CasualCart

That's how I am kind of with the big boxes I have which amount to maybe 15 I think.  They had to be utterly huge games I have a solid memory to and perhaps even still like to engage in which really helps, but the rest, as said there, it had to be something unique.  Take for instance Wing Commander, it wasn't just a manual, ref card, and disks or CD with the game.  They had huge fold out massive blueprints of every craft, a decently thick made up pilots magazine/handbook called Claw Marks(for the Tiger Claw) and I believe there's a star system map in that box too.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary had a real gem of gems if you're a Trek fan of the original series, there was the game, the manual, other blah inserts, but then there was the Clue Book.  That isn't so much a clue book, but a series of novellas, one for each mission the game has, the last few pages have like a Visio blocked off box to line chart and descriptors what to do.  But the 90% meat of that book, Trek mini novels, and best of all, much written by the old 60s show writers including DC Fontana, never republished elsewhere.  That was must for me to get back.

Another good one to point out, Sam & Max Hit the Road, the SCUMM game like those Indy titles.  The game is based on the art/story of Steve Purcell.  Within there is yet another clue book, but also the manual too has more.  There are full only published there comic strips of those two deranged animals and other fun gems too in print.  Sure there are no cloth maps, little gems, big code wheels, and other books and bindings like RPGS (Might and Magic) got, but still, they're lost to time unless you dig up an old copy usually at someones big cost.  Even if you have no time to game it, those books are amazing to work through.

8 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Makes sense - it can be a hard facet of the hobby to ignore for sure.

@DefaultGen - you have some pretty solid standards for your PC collection, right? Like significant franchises and childhood favorites and stuff? What do you think is worth pursuing as far as computer games go?

-CasualCart

I mean I started collecting nostalgic stuff (the most popular 90s games, Doom, Unreal, Half-Life, Blizzard, Lucasarts, Sierra, etc.). Lots of people pick their favorite publisher and go super hard. You can collect just Sierra endlessly just like you can collect NES.

As far as the stuff I collected, there isn’t even a ton that’s super rare. No one wants the “Stadium Events of computer games” because it would’ve had no impact on the industry and no one ever played it. They want Half-Life and Diablo, and even though it’s more expensive now there’s still a ton of copies out there to buy.

Now I’m mostly into rarer, older, historic stuff that I never played, especially late 70s early 80s Apple II, TRS-80, PC-88, X1, FM7. Lesser known yet influential early examples of different genres. Would appreciate if everyone keeps ignoring it and doesn’t spike prices even higher though!

On topic though, Tatsujin Oh: Arcade and FM Towns exclusive! Mr. Do’s Wild Ride! Arcade and MSX exclusive!

• Like 1