IGNORED

Pricecharting as a collection organizing tool: good or bad?

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, ApebitMusic said:

So I just signed up for VGcollect. The first game I inputted into my collection was Ninja Five-O, and it gave me an estimated value of $207, which is about half of what it is going for.  What's weird is it says "via pricecharting.com", but that I don't see how they would have pulled that number from PC.

Is the price they give for CIB, Sealed, or other? 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, ApebitMusic said:

I inputted it as Cart Only, so I assume that's what it's aiming at.. but PC doesn't list that value for any of the contents so I dunno...

Weird! Maybe if PC doesn't have a price for cart only, they take the CIB price and cut it in half as a best guess? Or something? 

55 minutes ago, ApebitMusic said:

So I just signed up for VGcollect. The first game I inputted into my collection was Ninja Five-O, and it gave me an estimated value of $207, which is about half of what it is going for.  What's weird is it says "via pricecharting.com", but that I don't see how they would have pulled that number from PC.

The estimated values in VGCollect are wildly inaccurate. I think it’s a feature they haven’t updated in quite awhile.  It’s based off of old data.

Honestly I wish they would scrap that feature. Not even Pricecharting or GVN are that accurate, really.

7 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

I use GameEye - great interface and values are somewhat accurate

I tried this app. I like the interface but I didn’t see a way to share or export lists? Also, in my experience, their “cartridge scan” identification was wildly (and hilariously) inaccurate. 

Edited by ApebitMusic

3 hours ago, ApebitMusic said:

I tried this app. I like the interface but I didn’t see a way to share or export lists? Also, in my experience, their “cartridge scan” identification was wildly (and hilariously) inaccurate. 

Besides the inaccuracy of game values, how do you like VGCollect so far?

15 hours ago, ApebitMusic said:

From the main landing page when you open the app, there are export options under the hamburger menu (list and spreadsheet).

I've never tried the cartridge scan myself - only the barcode.

I tried gameeye, maybe it's fine for carts, but it took the piss for when I tried doing non-cart (non console too) stuff.  I've got Nintendo Powers and FUn Clubs, Virtual Boy rental carrier, some homebrew, proto bootlegs, multicarts, and other odds and ends it had fits over so I erased it.  I really wanted to use it for an easy grab on my phone.  That was maybe a year ago I last tried it or 1.5yrs, so has it changed much.

True I do remember that now.  It took me hours to add maybe 70 NES games and a few other items which is due to the slow way it works.  The lacking quality of these apps is why I still basically use a 20 year old HTML style format basic page.  Pops up clean on any small device, fast too, but trying to find something specific would amount to knowing where to look then scrolling or the find feature on the browser.