IGNORED

Grumbles!

Tabonga

On top of having to pay sales taxes on online orders Colorado now imposes an additional  $.27 fee on online orders (called a retail delivery fee) - just ordered a few things from Abebooks and there it was.   I haven't seen it on ebay yet but I have no doubt it is on the way.  I have heard on the radio that is also going to be applied to services such as grub hub.

By calling it a fee rather than the tax it is the legislature sidesteps having to let the voters decide since we have to approve new taxes.  We have lots of new fees that don't seem to help us in any way but do increase the amount that the government can misspend.

I wonder if there is any tea I can dump in Sloans Lake in protest.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

On top of having to pay sales taxes on online orders Colorado now imposes an additional  $.27 fee on online orders (called a retail delivery fee) - just ordered a few things from Abebooks and there it was.   I haven't seen it on ebay yet but I have no doubt it is on the way.  I have heard on the radio that is also going to be applied to services such as grub hub.

By calling it a fee rather than the tax it is the legislature sidesteps having to let the voters decide since we have to approve new taxes.  We have lots of new fees that don't seem to help us in any way but do increase the amount that the government can misspend.

I wonder if there is any tea I can dump in Sloans Lake in protest.

Ok, so, legally what is the difference between a "fee" and a "tax'?  Seems to me this is something that could be taken to the Supreme Court and deemed illegal.

But alas, California has declared bees to be fish, so who knows if that can change or not.

• Wow! 1

1 minute ago, RH said:

Ok, so, legally what is the difference between a "fee" and a "tax'?  Seems to me this is something that could be taken to the Supreme Court and deemed illegal.

But alas, California has declared bees to be fish, so who knows if that can change or not.

I can see how bees and fish are….. similar ? 

Just now, RH said:

We have an amendment to the state constitution that mandates we have to vote on new taxes -  so things are labeled fees - I don't know if any court challenges are lingering about.  They sidestep the tax thing by using a flat charge rather than one based on a perctentage.

• Like 1

Also, the “fee” is only allowed to be spent on road infrastructure and electric car awareness. Or some shit like that. 
mist similar to the new bag “fee” in Denver. The store keeps 40% and it can only be spent on buying recycle bags to give away, while the city can only spend it on bag reuse “awareness”.

this all seems legit to me?…😂

3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

We have an amendment to the state constitution that mandates we have to vote on new taxes -  so things are labeled fees - I don't know if any court challenges are lingering about.  They sidestep the tax thing by using a flat charge rather than one based on a perctentage.

This is correct. Bag fee. Delivery fee. Maybe we can get a you’re lucky to live here fee soon?

2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Yeah... whether it's a percent or a fixed amount, if it's something. you pay to the government... it's a tax.  I'm sure you are 100% right in how politicians are justifying this, but I'd be surprised if this stood up to any serious scrutiny.  But, for it to be challenged, some big company or organization would probably have to spearhead a lawsuit and maybe there's a chance that CO is just riding out this manipulation of language as long as they can until the suit works it's way to the Supreme Court of CO, or further.

1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

This is correct. Bag fee. Delivery fee. Maybe we can get a you’re lucky to live here fee soon?

Denver has always had a head tax for the privilege of working in Denver.  IIRC it was a flat $6 a  month - funny how that is a tax rather than a fee,

Just now, RH said:

Yeah... whether it's a percent or a fixed amount, if it's something. you pay to the government... it's a tax.  I'm sure you are 100% right in how politicians are justifying this, but I'd be surprised if this stood up to any serious scrutiny.  But, for it to be challenged, some big company or organization would probably have to spearhead a lawsuit and maybe there's a chance that CO is just riding out this manipulation of language as long as they can until the suit works it's way to the Supreme Court of CO, or further.

I think it’s all a crock of shit. While 27 cents for a delivery and 10 cents for a bag doesn’t really bother me. It’s the fact that the people that live here had no fucking say in any of it. 
they will keep tacking on fees year after year. 
it’s frustrating. 
had a lady throw a bottle of tequila at me when I told her that a bag was gonna cost her a dime 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Fucking drives me nuts when I see that on my pay stub.

While I don't have to pay that any more it is one of the reasons I don't shop in Denver if I can avoid it.  I also refrain from driving through since I would rather not have my vehicle seized on a bogus solicitation charge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

While 27 cents for a delivery and 10 cents for a bag doesn’t really bother me. It’s the fact that the people that live here had no fucking say in any of it. 

Not having a say is part of the problem, but even with the nickel-and-dime fees, they are more expensive than you think.  The longer the legislature gets away with it, the more they will continue to use such mechanisms to syphon money off of people.  In the end, a single $.27 fee may not be much, but when you end up with hundreds of small fees across every type of transaction imaginable, the summation of those fees on the average citizen could reach 3-5% really fast.  And of course, it's common to have sales tax just about any where in the US and I'm guessing you guys already pay between 7-10% on the typical sale... plus income tax too.  Yeah, it adds up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

While I don't have to pay that any more it is one of the reasons I don't shop in Denver if I can avoid it.  I also refrain from driving through since I would rather not have my vehicle seized on a bogus solicitation charge.

Unfortunately for all that’s wrong with Denver, I still love it. 
I don’t live in the city proof anymore, but I still live close enough and work there. Here is to hoping we can work through it all.  Gotta have some downs to get some ups.. or some shit like that.

1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

I don’t live in the city proof anymore, but I still live close enough and work there. Here is to hoping we can work through it all.  Gotta have some downs to get some ups.. or some shit like that.

I generally like Lakewood and the adjoining suburbs.  

Just now, Richardhead said:

My wife and I flew out their as part of business trip on our honeymoon (my boss offered me to do one day of work, in exchange for me spending as much time as we wanted out there, at his expense!) and we really enjoyed it.  Denver was a really cool town, but we had to drive out the Crested Butte to do the one day of work and we stayed out there for a few days.  Beautiful country.  If I were to ever move out of the South, I think CO would be the top of my list for consideration.  I've never been to Aspen, but I probably would consider it since it's in the middle of the Rockies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RH said:

Not having a say is part of the problem, but even with the nickel-and-dime fees, they are more expensive than you think.  The longer the legislature gets away with it, the more they will continue to use such mechanisms to syphon money off of people.  In the end, a single $.27 fee may not be much, but when you end up with hundreds of small fees across every type of transaction imaginable, the summation of those fees on the average citizen could reach 3-5% really fast.  And of course, it's common to have sales tax just about any where in the US and I'm guessing you guys already pay between 7-10% on the typical sale... plus income tax too.  Yeah, it adds up.

Denver is about 8% sales tax. 
i will however say that this place has grown faster than it should have and they can’t keep up with infrastructure repairs and improvement. We have a horrible public transportation system and things don’t seem to be getting better…. Sooo… maybe this 27 cent tax I’ll help? Probably not so much. But we shall see in the many years to come I suppose.