IGNORED

Building an online database

fcgamer

So I've been cleaning out my apartment over the weekend, and it came to pass that I have a ton of gaming stuff lying around.

I figured that this might be the right time to make the database I've been conceptualizing in my head since about 2014-2015, featuring scans, pictures and text relating to bootleg and unlicensed gaming items.

The problem is, I don't know where to start. I envision something like NA or AA as the end product, are there any free (or affordable) database designing software that is easy to use for someone that doesn't know much about this stuff? And what about hosting?

Anyone here with knowledge that has an interest in joining in on this project? 

Let's talk about databases 🙂

7 hours ago, fcgamer said:

So I've been cleaning out my apartment over the weekend, and it came to pass that I have a ton of gaming stuff lying around.

I figured that this might be the right time to make the database I've been conceptualizing in my head since about 2014-2015, featuring scans, pictures and text relating to bootleg and unlicensed gaming items.

The problem is, I don't know where to start. I envision something like NA or AA as the end product, are there any free (or affordable) database designing software that is easy to use for someone that doesn't know much about this stuff? And what about hosting?

Anyone here with knowledge that has an interest in joining in on this project? 

Let's talk about databases 🙂

The database itself isn’t really the fun part it’s the front end and how you interact with the database that you have on the backend. A database itself is easy, you just pick what type you want, a relational probably makes sense here as opposed to a no sql since you may have many databases with related information. You could get set up and going on AWS RDS in five minutes - well someone that knows what they are doing lol

The other part of that, interacting with the database or the front end I think is where most people run into issues. AWS Beanstalk is a popular choice if you have the front end code and don’t want to manage everything else. 

Sure you can build all this at your house on a Linux server and host it all on the same machine ala Bootgod but if you want to get real on it consider AWS/Azure/Gcloud and for god sakes get a SSL cert lol

This reminds me of the other issue which is authentication, how do people log in and track their own junk. Are you saying just a database of information where say everyone at least has read access? Probably define the scope and then move from there. 

As for off the shelf software for this kind of stuff, you’ve got me there. Maybe @Glovesor @Code Monkey know some COTS software that can help you?

Edited by a3quit4s

I agree that an RDMS (relational database management system) should work for your needs.   I highly recommend a free tier of Sql Server, and be sure to grab the free version of Sql Server Management Studio to be able to login and manage your database.

If you are 100% new to software engineering, then you might feel quite overwhelmed because there are a lot of options out there, for everything you could possibly do, and there are a lot of dogmatic engineers that believe the tools they work with are best.  Regardless, I feel like there's mostly a balance of ease of use versus cost to use certain tools.

Most tools, even the expensive ones, have free tiers and you just have to determine if you can work within those constraints.  Microsoft SQL Server can get a bit pricey for a side project, but so long as you stay within their free limits (and I assume you could for a database) then you might prefer it.  You will be largely locking yourself into the world of Windows.  Granted, Microsoft has may huge strides to become more open source friendly and there is a version of Sql Server out there for Linux, but you'll want to use SSMS and I'm pretty sure that only runs on Windows.  If that's a problem, you'll want to look elsewhere.

Anyway, you have any specific questions?  Have you started looking at any database engines and have specific questions?  It's kind of tough to make a real, good recommendation with out knowing a bit more of the details and the scope of the project.  Also, if you are thinking about having a robust site that might get significant traffic (for a project that's managed by one person) then I recommend directly reaching out to web masters of sites that are already doing that and asking their specific advice.  @Gloves, obviously.  You mentioned AtariAge, so see if you could talk to those guys.  I currently work in manufacturing and systems management and i've kind of always worked in business back-end stuff.  There's a lot I could assist with, but the web guys like those admins could probably really guide you on how to properly make a good online db.

Oh, sorry, last piece of advice!  Always first look for a turn-key solution that can work for your needs.  There are pros and cons to using an only database/wiki system that exists versus 100% rolling your own.  If you have significant development experience, making your own site might be the way to go because you have 100% control of making it your own.  However, if you are 100% green to development, it might be worth looking for something like Wiki software that you can use.  There are many tools out there intended to help novices make web sites for various purposes, and many Wiki engines are aware that people want to make information sharing web pages.  This means you, as the admin, can have 100% access to make and manage your pages and data tables as you please, but other will be "locked out", if that's what you choose.  It's worth considering.  If I were in your shoes, that's probably where I'd start and then maybe try to find a buddy to help me setup the wiki on a free hosting/cloud tier while I experimented and learned.

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm building a mobile application since I need to track each individual variant. I already have the database on the back end, it's true that the front end is what requires the most time.

What is it, the 80/20 rule?  You'll spend 80% of your time finishing and polishing the last 20%?  That's what it feels like to me. You can do a lot of back-end database, business logic and web service work and pretty cohesively but even for a small project, if you want the front end to function well and be bug free, you're going to spend a lot of time building it, testing it on mobile/computer, tapping it, playing with it, adding stupid validations.  I mean, there are a lot of automated tests suites out there, but often times I feel like they can take as much time for initial setup in development as just "testing it yourself".

Anyway, I can vouch for this.  The "hard" part is the UI simply because there's so much nuance to getting it right.