IGNORED

Account issues

Anyone have this happen before on paypal?

They must've gotten into my email account first,  but all they did with my paypal was change the email address, home address, phone number, and upgrade to a business account type. 

No transactions ran.

What would be the purpose of this? Obviously I've changed all my passwords now, but surely they were trying to scavenge some info

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted

If you've not already, change your passwords on like... Everything. If they're smart they have your email, address, password, and transaction history. Which means they know where you've spent money, and thus at least a few guesses at other places you have accounts. 

If you share a password between websites especially, stop posting here and get out there and change your passwords. In fact, change your password here, too. Everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

• The title was changed to Account issues
17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

If you've not already, change your passwords on like... Everything. If they're smart they have your email, address, password, and transaction history. Which means they know where you've spent money, and thus at least a few guesses at other places you have accounts. 

If you share a password between websites especially, stop posting here and get out there and change your passwords. In fact, change your password here, too. Everywhere. 

Good news is I use different passwords for most everything. But what doesn't make sense is they would've had to have my email, email password too, which are all different. 

Is it that easy to figure that shit out? 

I never login anywhere with that email.

It sounds like you haven't, but just in case--if you haven't already, make sure that you enable 2 factor authentication on anything that's truly important to you, with PayPal (or other online payment processors, your bank, etc.) being the number one on that list.  That way, even if someone manages to scam your password, they generally can't actually get into the account since you/your device will be the only one receiving the second authentication method required to actually get into the account.  And, if you suddenly start getting authentication messages from something that you haven't been accessing, you immediately know that it's been compromised and can go update your password once again to keep things secure.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Good news is I use different passwords for most everything. But what doesn't make sense is they would've had to have my email, email password too, which are all different. 

Is it that easy to figure that shit out? 

I never login anywhere with that email.

Did they change your PayPal password? If so, they could have looked through your email and requested a PayPal password change. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Did they change your PayPal password? If so, they could have looked through your email and requested a PayPal password change. 

They created a whole separate PayPal account using my original email and password, and changed my original paypal email address and password to a bogus one.

All that was on the new account was my name. There was a fake phone number and mailing address on that one.