IGNORED

Wordle and Squirdle (Pokémon wordle) Thread

Makar

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

A really disappointing one is worldle.  They really like obscure 3km islands in the middle of BFE.  

Yeah, I think if it were limited to sovereign nations, it would be better. Instead it includes island territories, and fuck if I know what Christmas Island looks like from a silhouette.

The only issue I have with Wordle is if you get most of the letters, but every possible answer outnumbers your chances left, you are just left with guessing. Takes all skill away.

12 hours ago, Tulpa said:

The only issue I have with Wordle is if you get most of the letters, but every possible answer outnumbers your chances left, you are just left with guessing. Takes all skill away.

I've definitely had that happen and felt it unfair. But a friend pointed out to me, if your strategy is to hunt consonants rather than vowels, you have a better chance at words like that.

14 hours ago, Makar said:

NO SPOILERS please

But we can talk about yesterday's word. or Pokemon. 

I used to always try for the more common vowels first. I've found it more advisable to switch things up. Of course, there's still an element of chance with your first try.

D5014A19-A0F0-4C20-8512-B6440069214C.jpeg

I feel pretty good about this one. Usually I start with a mix of vowels (3) and common consonants (2). Today I went for maximum vowels first, then focused on consonants. I think I got lucky on that front. I could say more without getting specific but I think I'd be too close to spoilers.  

I don't think I'll try that same opening gambit again, though. It's a nice idea, but I don't like the position of most of those vowels.

Wordle 299 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

11 hours ago, Link said:

I feel pretty good about this one. Usually I start with a mix of vowels (3) and common consonants (2). Today I went for maximum vowels first, then focused on consonants. I think I got lucky on that front. I could say more without getting specific but I think I'd be too close to spoilers.  

I don't think I'll try that same opening gambit again, though. It's a nice idea, but I don't like the position of most of those vowels.

Wordle 299 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I usually start with a word that uses most of the common letters like rates or share or something similar. All the wordles with multiple puzzles are pretty easy because you can open up the game with 2-4 words that use all different letters every time and uncover 10-20 letters right off the bat 

13 hours ago, Makar said:

I usually start with a word that uses most of the common letters like rates or share or something similar. All the wordles with multiple puzzles are pretty easy because you can open up the game with 2-4 words that use all different letters every time and uncover 10-20 letters right off the bat 

Same. Lately I've been starting with route. Before, it was usually raise or aisle but I had a run of days where those weren't giving me much.

Yesterday I started with audio. It has most of the vowels. But they're in unusual spots.

On the 4- and 8-ordles I start with route and slain, after that it depends on what those reveal.

I usually start with raise. If that doesn't hit anything, or hits only one letter in the wrong spot, my second go-to is count. 

Someone looked at the original code and said roate is the ideal starting word, but that the game used two lists (a general list of 12,000+ five letter words for possible guesses and a list of 2,000 five letter words that will actually be the answer.) Roate is on the larger list, but not the smaller one, so if you hope to get a first try win, raise was on the smaller list. But that was prior to the New York Times purchase, so who knows what they use now.

Edited by Tulpa

On 4/13/2022 at 6:54 AM, Link said:

I've definitely had that happen and felt it unfair. But a friend pointed out to me, if your strategy is to hunt consonants rather than vowels, you have a better chance at words like that.

That's a good point, but my pea brain is too vowel centric. 😞

Aerie is another first word I've used a bunch. 

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

That's a good point, but my pea brain is too vowel centric. 😞

It wouldn't work for me either. Even discounting the less common letters, there are too many consonants to chase down that way, imo.

That's what I decided that after I made a list of consonant-heavy words. Looking at that list now... maybe as the second or later try. For example the word is _IGHT. Break the "hard mode" rules. Try FROST to simultaneously look for FIGHT, RIGHT, SIGHT, and TIGHT. If you get no 🟩 or 🟨 with that, try LEMON, and you'll know whether it's LIGHT, MIGHT, or NIGHT.

On 4/15/2022 at 8:41 AM, Link said:

Same. Lately I've been starting with route. Before, it was usually raise or aisle but I had a run of days where those weren't giving me much.

Yesterday I started with audio. It has most of the vowels. But they're in unusual spots.

On the 4- and 8-ordles I start with route and slain, after that it depends on what those reveal.

After a good amount of research of common letters, I shifted to starting with stone. It worked wonders in duotrigordle (the 32 puzzle one) 

these are 2 sets of 4 I have started with and had lots of success. The idea is to uncover 20 unique letters within your first 4 guesses

BARDY
CLOVE
MIGHT
SPUNK

STONE
BAWDY
ZILCH
GRUMP

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Makar said:

duotrigordle (the 32 puzzle one) 

Good lord! *choke*
I couldn't handle sedecordle 😂 I only tried it once, though. 

Very interesting lists, thank you for sharing those. I think I've yet to see a Z (or a Q, for that matter) in original Wordle. Definitely had them in the bigger games, and they love to put adjectives ending with Y. JAZZY almost got me one day. 

Another observation is along the same lines as a rule in the old word game in the newspaper: "Words that acquire four letters* by the addition of “s,” such as “bats” or “dies,” are not allowed." Having read that hundreds of times growing up, I noticed fairly quickly it also applies in Wordle. You can enter plurals and present-tense verbs, but they're never the answer. I'm not 100% sure about the others but I think they adhere, too.

*yes, four, it's a different game

On 4/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, Link said:

Aerie is another first word I've used a bunch. 

It wouldn't work for me either. Even discounting the less common letters, there are too many consonants to chase down that way, imo.

That's what I decided that after I made a list of consonant-heavy words. Looking at that list now... maybe as the second or later try. For example the word is _IGHT. Break the "hard mode" rules. Try FROST to simultaneously look for FIGHT, RIGHT, SIGHT, and TIGHT. If you get no 🟩 or 🟨 with that, try LEMON, and you'll know whether it's LIGHT, MIGHT, or NIGHT.

Why would you use a first word that has two "e"s in it? Irate gives you a "t" too. Or go all out and start with eerie.

5 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Why would you use a first word that has two "e"s in it? Irate gives you a "t" too. Or go all out and start with eerie.

Because E is the most common vowel; sometimes there are two of them; and to find or eliminate it from multiple positions.