IGNORED

Is there a reasonably priced, short SFC adapter for the SNES?

RH

I have a few SFC titles I'd like to play, but I'm not interested in breaking my SNES by breaking the internal tabs to fit the carts in the machine.  Is there a small/shallow adapter out there, that's well made an reasonably priced that you can pop in a SNES and play them?  I'm hoping for something that's a bit low-profile, and might actually fit under the hinged door, making the SFC cart stick out of the SNES about 1-1.5 inches taller than a SNES cart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I know you can use a game genie, but it also has tabs that need to be broken and it's not necessarily low profile. Not aware of anything as you describe it. Actually there is an adapter that works the other way around, so you can put an snes cart into a super famicom, made by honeybee so it should be good quality. Dont think they're cheap though.

8 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Well, I know you can use a game genie, but it also has tabs that need to be broken and it's not necessarily low profile. Not aware of anything as you describe it. Actually there is an adapter that works the other way around, so you can put an snes cart into a super famicom, made by honeybee so it should be good quality. Dont think they're cheap though.

You know what, that might work. I have a SNES, but maybe getting an SFC and flipping the equation will work better.  I'll give that a consideration.

You have a link/photo of that Honeybee adapter?

I've seen adapters in years past, and I wish I could help because I don't recall the name.  Back when I was looking to get a start on FC games and N64 for a couple titles I had considered it and researched it, they do exist though I'll say that much.  If they've all but evaporated online that's a bad sign.

4 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

Definitely cut the tabs, best and easiest mod ever. It doesn't "break" the console or make it less valuable, and no one will even ever notice it.

If you google Honeybee SNES/SFC adapter you'll find plenty images.

I get it, and I know a lot of people do that, but I like to keep things OG and in great condition.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go that far.  Tab removal over time (meaning lots of hours and lots of games in/out) my launch day SNES became a victim of tab removal.  The slot itself isn't that nice and it's a bit wider than the games are, and with the tabs out the game kind of just hangs there and can rattle back and forward easily.  Over time without the tabs the pins will relax and spread just enough that eventually a fart in the wind will make the game trip and lock up if it moves at all forcing you to have to wedge something between the game and the slot edge.  Mine suffered from that so eventually I sold the thing as it drove me nuts and replaced it.  I regretted never buying the adapter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2