IGNORED

Was this CIB GBC frankenstined?

a_profile_name

I bought a Japanese cib GBC on ebay. It came with 2 inserts.

Now the manual says cgb-jpn-3, the console says cbg-jpn-1, and the box says cbg-s-spa-jpn-2. The other insert (warrenty maybe?) says t-cgb-jpn.

Is it frankenstined?

I don't care very much because I actually bought it had the best condition / price ratio even just considering the console, and the box was just an extra.

But still, I would like to know.

20200924_090453.thumb.jpg.0b2e42f5234ba36372a2b5d7bad37ffb.jpg

Edited by sg17

Not necessarily. The revision numbers on the boxes and manuals do not get updated together, so just because one is a -3 and another is a -2 does not mean they don't belong together. That being said, I know nothing about Japanese GBC so I can't tell you if it was actually Frankensteined. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen it countless times on Japanese Nintendo consoles. All the parts get revised when needed. Just like 2 of the same car may have different windshield brands/models and factory tires. Of course it's possible it was put together, but you will need a database of hundreds of consoles to be sure that your particular mix of revisions has actually happened or not. I don't think it's worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With frankensteining, the main issue is the country coding more so than the revision numbers. With the general box, game, manual, you’d want matching codes such as USA, AUS, UK, EUR. The revision numbers are too tricky to know for sure if they come together for the different numbers between the game contents.

As a general rule of thumb, if the contents ALL look like-new and fully complete, then there’s a low chance of frankensteining occurring.

• Thanks 1

You're likely fine as others said.  For example see below.  Obviously I didn't focus in on all the tabs and flaps here as it was just a show shot for myself mainly.  The manual (Tetris,) the manual and inserts (GB), and the box have various numbers after the product code.  I got this off someone a few years back who bought it for their daughter who used it maybe a couple times, then it was put back into the box and forgotten for 25 years until it ended up in my hands.  Basically I'm the only one to ever put it to good actual intended use or care in the least bit, so it rests as it was, not frakensteined, and not tampered with since leaving the factory.  My guess between the various DMG-# numbers between things, it's probably a 1991-92 unit but has some stuff in there from an earlier period too.

gameboy-dmg-01-complete.thumb.jpg.3df66252b6ba304b5180e8dc3ddaa24e.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...