IGNORED

The green notification bar drives me crazy

DefaultGen

Is there something I can do to toggle it off or acknowledge it once I’ve read it once? Every time a page loads, it gets shifted down 1cm a second later to tell me about the new classifieds system. I get being intrusive initially but it’s been a month. It drives me nuts.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted

@DefaultGen have you clicked the "X" on the right side of the notification bar? This should add a cookie to your browser which tells the site not to show it anymore.

That said, it HAS been a month, maybe I can turn that guy off. Of course that's a temp fix for YOUR problem, since the next announcement will do the same.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Joshua Rogers said:

Happens to me too. Feel like it's something to do with some privacy app I have which blocks the cookie or something.

That may well be the case. If you opt out of cookies, you're actively inhibiting your experience on websites; it's a give and take. 

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand not wanting to be tracked by the Googles and whatnot. Sadly their invasive tracking is managed through the same way as most sites handle short form customizations like this.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 5:03 PM, Gloves said:

@DefaultGen have you clicked the "X" on the right side of the notification bar? This should add a cookie to your browser which tells the site not to show it anymore.

That said, it HAS been a month, maybe I can turn that guy off. Of course that's a temp fix for YOUR problem, since the next announcement will do the same.

I have the same experience with the notification bar jumping the page. Would it be possible just to do away with it? There is an announcements thread right at the top of the page after all.

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I have the same experience with the notification bar jumping the page. Would it be possible just to do away with it? There is an announcements thread right at the top of the page after all.

I don't think we'll just do away with it, no. Not everyone will notice the announcement threads. We rarely use the announcement bar as is, it's not that intrusive, and once you click the X it goes away until your cookies have been cleared. 

• Like 1