IGNORED

Thomas the Tank Engine (NES proto) - Sourcing the cover art?

Koopa64

I know, it's a kids game, but it's always been one of my favorite unreleased games. I have a weird soft spot for this game. I especially love the classic Thomas the Tank Engine songs re-created with triangle and square waves. What's unfortunate is a nice high-res copy of the cover art hasn't turned up in the past 10 years from what I've seen, but then I don't get around online that much. Does anyone have insight on this? Does the cover art for Thomas NES exist as a book cover or something elsewhere? Did a VidPro card for Thomas NES ever surface?

NES proto art:

spacer.png

This cover art was also used for the Genesis and SNES versions, but only the Genesis version was also in a portrait orientation.

spacer.png

Edited by Koopa64
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m a Thomas fan myself!   I was actually talking to a another collector today about the possibility of vidpro.  I’ve heard there might be one but nobody seems to know forsure.  I would love to find the cover painting myself.  I do happen to have the Nes prototype cartridge which I cherish.  Good luck on your hunt.  I hope we both can manage a vidpro.  448F8DEF-042A-4653-9E87-431D6A1DC5D6.thumb.png.17fc34ad23ec3935dd2710a48af22ff8.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

THQ, huh?

How's it play? It is similar to James Bond Jr. quality, or Great Waldo Search quality? 😛

If it's similar to the one on the Genesis, I downloaded it and loaded it to my SNES Mini for my kids.  They were on a Thomas kick at that time.  They liked it.  There were about 5-8 various mini games. One was even like a Pipedream style game where you had to lay a track from a source to a destination. It was sllooooooow, but my kids still liked it.  There was even a read-a-long with voice audio, but there's no way they had that for the NES.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 11:43 AM, Tulpa said:

THQ, huh?

How's it play? It is similar to James Bond Jr. quality, or Great Waldo Search quality? 😛

Haha, yeah you better be a young kid to really enjoy this one.  I’ve played it with my kids and it’s definately playable.  My son is a Thomas fan so he loved it.  

Thomas the Tank Engine for NES is in most ways very similar to the SNES and Genesis versions with various mini games and story read-alongs, no voiceover though. One thing I find very interesting is you get three different stories in the NES version, but only two in the SNES and Genesis versions. The graphics are a bit ugly in places on the NES but the music is stunningly phenomenal. It makes me wonder who composed the music for the NES prototype.

Sure, it may be a game for kids, but I like it a lot, the pipedream-style track builder mini-game is a lot of fun just seeing how many track pieces you can get to fit and have it all still connect.

@Mydogsrule That's good news to hear there maybe a vidpro card out there for Thomas NES. Maybe one day it will be found. Very nice prototype cartridge too.