IGNORED

James Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Definitely a US release, it's just one of the rarer titles. Was released in 1990. Even back when nobody was collecting SMS 10ish years ago, it was pricey, often pushing $100 complete.

Here's the once over about it:

https://segaretro.org/Heavyweight_Champ_(8-bit)

Edit: also, I should add that it is a completely different game than Buster Douglas on the Genesis. Different developers. The Master System game actually plays and looks a lot like Rocky, just without the training stages.

Edited by profholt82

2 hours ago, Red said:

It has always been one of the tougher to find US releases.  I never heard a claim that it was PAL only though.  The European release was called Heavyweight Champ.

1 hour ago, profholt82 said:

Definitely a US release, it's just one of the rarer titles. Was released in 1990. Even back when nobody was collecting SMS 10ish years ago, it was pricey, often pushing $100 complete.

Here's the once over about it:

https://segaretro.org/Heavyweight_Champ_(8-bit)

Edit: also, I should add that it is a completely different game than Buster Douglas on the Genesis. Different developers. The Master System game actually plays and looks a lot like Rocky, just without the training stages.

Maybe I'm getting it confused with Sonic the Hedgehog? I saw something about a "European-exclusive" game that actually did have a US release, albeit very small. Why exactly is it so rare? Is it just one of those "nobody gave a damn because the next generation of consoles was already out" games? It seems like it got a release on the Genesis too, I just haven't been able to find anything on the SMS release outside of that segaretro link.

1 hour ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Maybe I'm getting it confused with Sonic the Hedgehog? I saw something about a "European-exclusive" game that actually did have a US release, albeit very small. Why exactly is it so rare? Is it just one of those "nobody gave a damn because the next generation of consoles was already out" games? It seems like it got a release on the Genesis too, I just haven't been able to find anything on the SMS release outside of that segaretro link.

Sonic was identical between the US and PAL release except for a UPC sticker on the US release (a few games have similar UPC stickers: Spider-man, Strider, and Golden Axe Warrior). AFAIK Sonic is the rarest, even excluding that there would naturally be more demand because it's Sonic.

IIRC Buster Douglas could be rare because it was released the same year Douglas lost the title to Evander Holyfield (and Sega went on to have Holyfield endorse their next game) plus being on the SMS. I could be getting this mixed up with a Mike Tyson story, but I'm almost positive this story is in the book Console Wars. Something, something everyone sitting around having drinks watching Buster Douglas lose the title just as their new game was released.

Edited by DefaultGen

5 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Sonic was identical between the US and PAL release except for a UPC sticker on the US release (a few games have similar UPC stickers: Spider-man, Strider, and Golden Axe Warrior). AFAIK Sonic is the rarest, even excluding that there would naturally be more demand because it's Sonic.

IIRC Buster Douglas could be rare because it was released the same year Douglas lost the title to Evander Holyfield (and Sega went on to have Holyfield endorse their next game) plus being on the SMS. I could be getting this mixed up with a Mike Tyson story, but I'm almost positive this story is in the book Console Wars. Something, something everyone sitting around having drinks watching Buster Douglas lose the title just as their new game was released.

It was Douglas in the book, yes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

IRC Buster Douglas could be rare because it was released the same year Douglas lost the title to Evander Holyfield (and Sega went on to have Holyfield endorse their next game) plus being on the SMS. I could be getting this mixed up with a Mike Tyson story, but I'm almost positive this story is in the book Console Wars. Something, something everyone sitting around having drinks watching Buster Douglas lose the title just as their new game was released.

2 hours ago, Joshua Rogers said:

It was Douglas in the book, yes.

That book was enjoyable, but why did he have to mess up dialogue? The NY Times went as far as to say: "the reconstructed dialogue can be stilted and phony."