IGNORED

EDIT: Can you guys help me figure out how to get WiiWare games on my sd card to work on my Wii (I've tried about every trick in the book)?

Estil

So with the New Year starting I'd like very much to get a few more "Everdrive" kinds of things checked (I just recently got an OG Xbox for Christmas to do arcade games and Xbox isos/roms/whatever).  The one on top of my list is that I'd like to know what is the very best 3DS flashcart you can get?  I also managed to get a complete US set of dsi roms and I'd like to be able to play those on my Supercard DSTwo (that's for the regular DS)...how do I do that?

I guess the next item on my list (and like the Xbox I've had my eye on this for the past few years also) would be an Atari 2600 Harmony flashcart (wasn't it the first major flashcart ever made?).  Though on my Xbox (thanks to some Emustation thing) I can do 2600/5200/7800...but how I do set up the 2600 paddle controls (the controller that had the turn knob; apparently some games you must use it; regular joystick won't work)?

I also still have a TurboGraphx 16 Everdrive I got a few years ago still collecting dust...but I'm not so sure if it'd really be worth over $100 to get the system for it. 😞

Edited by Estil

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I also managed to get a complete US set of dsi roms and I'd like to be able to play those on my Supercard DSTwo (that's for the regular DS)...how do I do that?

I also still have a TurboGraphx 16 Everdrive I got a few years ago still collecting dust...but I'm not so sure if it'd really be worth over $100 to get the system for it. 😞

I'm not sure why you can't just throw roms on a dstwo and just use the DSi games, it won't allow you to copy them?  As long as they're on the card and in the right hardware (dsi vs ds/lite) they're not really different that much.  The DSi did start a stupid period of making locked down handheld by region but I'd think the dumped roms would be no different given the kit bypasses those shenanigans.

As to the TG16, just get a cheap core grafx system, screw the Us hardware it's a tragic comedy in price that never lets up but gets worse.  Yes it's worth it to get the kit and it, and given you have the kit it's kind of a fools move not to.  The only reasons I don't have one myself anymore was pretty simple... reducing what I have, and because I was fed up not having a HDMI option, so I took the minimalist approach and swapped it for a PCE Mini.  I would get a kit back, if I could get the POCKET and the PCE adapter for it, but with the toxic market now I'd never buy a legit game as it's all poison now.

There's literally zero reason to buy a 3DS flash cart. Just install Custom Firmware (CFW) using the idiot proof guide and you're done. It's the absolute easiest thing a person can do. 

There's chats if you get stuck so at any point in the process people will walk you through it. 100% the best and most accessable console to run homebrew and pirate games on. 

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

There's literally zero reason to buy a 3DS flash cart. Just install Custom Firmware (CFW) using the idiot proof guide and you're done. It's the absolute easiest thing a person can do. 

There's chats if you get stuck so at any point in the process people will walk you through it. 100% the best and most accessable console to run homebrew and pirate games on. 

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Even easier than this? 😄 

I did manage to figure out the playing dsiware games on my DS...mostly...

It's easier than anything on the DS honestly. You can even use the CFW to play DS roms. It's the those DA flash carts basically disappeared. 

Oh and there are Google drives full of every eShop game released for the 3ds so you don't even have to use shady websites. It's been the best soft modding experience I ever had.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

18 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It's easier than anything on the DS honestly. You can even use the CFW to play DS roms. It's the those DA flash carts basically disappeared. 

Oh and there are Google drives full of every eShop game released for the 3ds so you don't even have to use shady websites. It's been the best soft modding experience I ever had.

Oh I can get the roms fine...it's getting them to work on my 3DS is the tricky part.  And I would prefer to use a 3DS flashcart like I use the SuperCard DSTwo for my DSi-XL.  I just don't know for sure which one is the best.

I'm also at the moment trying to choose what Xbox games/isos I want on my modded Xbox.  Besides the most famous flagship games (Halo 1 & 2) I got Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, Red Dead Revolver, and OutRun 2006 so far.

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Please don't buy a flash cart. Just spend 30 mins and buy a micro SD card of any size and start playing any game you want on your 3DS. 

please.. 

Do I really have to unscrew the back part of my New Nintendo 3DS-XL (Zelda version) just to get to the SD card slot?  Super weak... 😞 

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

After reading that site it seems easier to get a flash kit really.  That is a hell of a lot of steps, possible though unlikely hardware mod in some cases if software isn't working out, and all to just run ROMs which a flash kit could do without hacking your system.

It takes 30-40 mins tops. I'm tellin' you, if a person can read at a 4th grade reading level, they can hack a 3DS. There's really only 4 or 5 actual steps, they just spell everything out to make it completely idiot proof

52 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It takes 30-40 mins tops. I'm tellin' you, if a person can read at a 4th grade reading level, they can hack a 3DS. There's really only 4 or 5 actual steps, they just spell everything out to make it completely idiot proof

Well I've already done the Wii a few years back and recently the DS (mostly; I think there's something I have to do to make the saves on some of the games work right) so...

And once I figure out the 3DS, I guess I should do the WiiU next?

Idiotproof or not, if someone doesn't want to actually hack their hardware, why should they if a flash kit is possible?  I don't mod my systems in such ways beyond upgrading a couple older ones to do HDMI.  I prefer the simplicity of going rogue from a cart/card, and then not.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Idiotproof or not, if someone doesn't want to actually hack their hardware, why should they if a flash kit is possible?  I don't mod my systems in such ways beyond upgrading a couple older ones to do HDMI.  I prefer the simplicity of going rogue from a cart/card, and then not.

Me too; I'm just having a hard time figuring out which 3DS flashcart is truly the best.  With the DS it was easy (Supercard DSTwo).

@Estil Agreed 100% on that DSTwo I've wanted one.  I like the little CPU and stuff it has because it puffs up the possibilities a lot.

Did you know there are emulators that take advantage of that one card?  There's a MSDOS emulator that when without works as a low end 386, but with the DSTwos CPU etc runs as a lower end 486.  I've seen some impressive things run on that off a few google searches.  They just don't come up for sale much and I quite forgot to look for one some time ago.

I know I have some form of DS flash kit, not sure which, I had someone customize me a NeoDS .21 loadout with the MVS library on it to play directly off its menu, but it is just a flash kit that got re-stickered.

Never been able really to get a good grasp on what 3DS kit was best, they used to be in an endless shoving match with Nintendo over 'stability' updates which meant entirely anti-piracy blocks so I just blew it off.

10 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@Estil Agreed 100% on that DSTwo I've wanted one.  I like the little CPU and stuff it has because it puffs up the possibilities a lot.

Did you know there are emulators that take advantage of that one card?  There's a MSDOS emulator that when without works as a low end 386, but with the DSTwos CPU etc runs as a lower end 486.  I've seen some impressive things run on that off a few google searches.  They just don't come up for sale much and I quite forgot to look for one some time ago.

I know I have some form of DS flash kit, not sure which, I had someone customize me a NeoDS .21 loadout with the MVS library on it to play directly off its menu, but it is just a flash kit that got re-stickered.

Never been able really to get a good grasp on what 3DS kit was best, they used to be in an endless shoving match with Nintendo over 'stability' updates which meant entirely anti-piracy blocks so I just blew it off.

Is there one for the original Xbox?

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

1. The biggest reason, you can play all the games. I have over 250 GBA games alone that I can plop onto my 3DS in addition to all the GB/C, NES, SNES, and Game Gear games available from the eShop. 

Why is this the shit and why should you care? Well 3DS plays GBA games natively with no emulation. So you're basically getting a dank ass GBA in addition to all the 3DS games you can play.

2. Even "the best" 3DS flash carts don't run all the games. Games like Ocarina of Time, Animal Crossing and Pokemon struggle on the carts, not to mention running the risk of losing save data on RPGs.

3. Custom themes are the shit. If I know anything about @Estilhe's going to want some big tiddy JRPG girl greeting him every time he opens his console. I love the customization of the splash screen and backgrounds. 

4. There has never been an update that Nintendo was able to work around CFW and there won't ever be. In fact, the opposite has happened. Every time there is a system update trying to make the system more stable, the CFW installation process has gotten easier. Flashcard had been targeted through updates but it's not to say they will ever be again. 

5. The 3DS can hold hundreds and hundreds of games on its home screen at one time. Basically every game worth playing can sit on a 128gb SD card and you never have to worry about a thing again. You can put them into folders just like anything else on the system. It makes navigating a sea of games super convenient. 

E: Oh and if you don't want the CFW anymore you can just reset the console settings. Super easy

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

.3. Custom themes are the shit. If I know anything about @Estilhe's going to want some big tiddy JRPG girl greeting him every time he opens his console. I love the customization of the splash screen and backgrounds. 

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the pic my wife used on her Yahoo Messenger (those were the days!) account when we first met back in 2005. 🙂   And apparently you forgot that I go for more for the Nera (DQ5)/Serena (DG11)/Marle (CT) types 😄 

So it sounds like the softmod thing is the way to go?  I don't need all that other stuff you mentioned, just be able to play 3DS games just as good as if they were the real deal (YES I already do have several of the real blue chip games but I like the idea of not having to swap out cartridges all the time).

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

Okay I think I mostly got my 3DS soft modded (wasn't exactly hard it just took a LOT of steps).  Now, where do my 3DS roms go on the micro SD card?

Umm my roms are in .3ds format but I'm suppose to have them in .cia format?  Why isn't regular .3ds format good enough?

Edited by Estil

• The title was changed to EDIT: Got 3DS (mostly?) softmodded...where do 3DS roms go on the micro SD card? Should I softmod my WiiU next?
4 hours ago, Estil said:

Okay I think I mostly got my 3DS soft modded (wasn't exactly hard it just took a LOT of steps).  Now, where do my 3DS roms go on the micro SD card?

Umm my roms are in .3ds format but I'm suppose to have them in .cia format?  Why isn't regular .3ds format good enough?

Yep, you want them in CIA format. You can change them from .3DS to .cia using the CFW or you can just find the CIA files. There is a Google folder you could dig up through Reddit discussions and GBAtemp forums to get the CIA files.

https://www.cfwaifu.com/3ds-install-games-homebrew/

• The title was changed to EDIT: Got 3DS (mostly?) softmodded... Should I softmod my WiiU next?
On 1/1/2022 at 8:29 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Please don't buy a flash cart. Just spend 30 mins and buy a micro SD card of any size and start playing any game you want on your 3DS. 

please.. 

Are you by any chance the same guy who said a few years ago to hook up my WiiU to my HDTV (as opposed to my 20" CRT TV monitor as I wanted to "avoid input lag") and said "dear God, just do it..."?

And I must say this is really exciting to get the MAME ready Xbox for Christmas and now setting up my 3DS to do Everdrive kinds of things (plus setting up my DS to do dsiware things).  Honestly I think this is way better than getting say, a new Switch or PS5.  It's a lot of fun to set up these kinds of things just the way you want them you see.

Edited by Estil

29 minutes ago, Estil said:

Are you by any chance the same guy who said a few years ago to hook up my WiiU to my HDTV (as opposed to my 20" CRT TV monitor as I wanted to "avoid input lag") and said "dear God, just do it..."?

I may have been 🤣 

I got to agree. I think a modded 3DS with all the features and the added bonus of getting DS games lumped in there as well is better than getting a Switch, especially if you missed that generation. And that's coming from someone who loves the Switch. 

The 3DS just has so much to offer and the graphs are still in a real sweet spot in the aging process. 

40 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I may have been 🤣 

I got to agree. I think a modded 3DS with all the features and the added bonus of getting DS games lumped in there as well is better than getting a Switch, especially if you missed that generation. And that's coming from someone who loves the Switch. 

The 3DS just has so much to offer and the graphs are still in a real sweet spot in the aging process. 

I use my DSi-XL and my Supercard DSTwo for the regular DS games.  And do you mean by "the graphs are still in a real sweet spot in the aging process"?

And don't forget I also at long last finally got an OG Xbox (after 20 years!) for doing MAME arcade and the nice bonus of also doing Xbox roms/isos.

Edited by Estil