IGNORED

This is kinda sad......

Tabonga

I just came across this thread on reddit.  No one seems to have snapped to the fact that the original twitter post (created from an "ebay message") was a lampoonish/satirical jab at the collecting greed/mania that we are all familiar with.  I pointed this out in a somewhat obtuse reference - I suspect that it also will go over a lot of heads.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

It's made the rounds here.  But yeah surely it's in jest.  Has to be.  

One of the many threads here I don't follow!

I just find it sad that all of the responders on reddit seemed to have gotten suckered in by it. (I think the OP may have known it was bogus since he says "if this is real". 

The ebay message has a lot of hallmarks of any good urban legend - lots of people get suckered in by those too.  (Don't get me wrong - I like a good urban legend as well as the next person - lost a kidney to a hooker that way once!) I have a few books on the history of urban legends - pretty fascinating stuff in it's own way.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Without any prior understanding, how would anyone know this was a joke lampooning greed?

As I said - it has many of the hallmarks of an urban legend -  this may well be one in a nascent stage.  (And while it takes on the trappings of a joke, like any good lampoon it has a decidedly barbed point to it.)

Edited by Tabonga

On a side note -- way back when I used to sell games on ebay, I would occasionally get a message from someone saying my game(s) were worth more than what I had listed them for.  The thing is, the games had been sitting on ebay for a while, so its obvious they weren't under-priced or super cheap, but I also wondered why the person sending me the message didn't just buy the game themselves if its so low?