IGNORED

Mental/Emotional Health and Collecting Videogames

WalterWhiteJr.

Curious if any fellow collector friends here find relief and support for mental and emotional health through their collecting hobby or are in recovery. I have met a few on IG and FB. I always love meeting and talking with people about their experiences and journey with collecting/playing videogames and mental/emotional wellness. It is a very interesting intersection. I have been sober from drugs and alcohol since November 2010. Once I got sober, I started to actually discover and re-discover passions and joys. Playing videogames and collecting videogames has been wonderful for me as an outlet to relieve stress and decompress. For me, it has also helped me mentally with semi-OCD type behaviors. I am sure many can relate to upgrading boxes or carts and focusing on condition/cleaning your games/organizing. 

Anyway, if you are in recovery and would like to connect but would rather PM, feel free! 🙂

- Frank

Edited by WalterWhiteJr.
  • Like 11

• The title was changed to Mental/Emotional Health and Collecting Videogames
11 hours ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

Curious if any fellow collector friends here find relief and support for mental and emotional health through their collecting hobby or are in recovery. I have met a few on IG and FB. I always love meeting and talking with people about their experiences and journey with collecting/playing videogames and mental/emotional wellness. It is a very interesting intersection. I have been sober from drugs and alcohol since November 2010. Once I got sober, I started to actually discover and re-discover passions and joys. Playing videogames and collecting videogames has been wonderful for me as an outlet to relieve stress and decompress. For me, it has also helped me mentally with semi-OCD type behaviors. I am sure many can relate to upgrading boxes or carts and focusing on condition/cleaning your games/organizing. 

Anyway, if you are in recovery and would like to connect but would rather PM, feel free! 🙂

- Frank

I’m a games fan on several levels. One of which is to help me to keep my sanity during periods of significant mental strain over the past 8 years. Games to me aren’t just a form of hobby, but also a natural antidepressant. 

• Like 2

I’m a nutter.  Collecting definitely makes me feel better, but it kind of feels like it just is something that fills the hole cigarettes and booze left in my addictive personality.  
I did show my collection to my psychiatrist who said that it doesn’t make me crazy.  Well —  I don’t know how to feel about that.  Kind of disappointing.  I really would like people to think man there’s something wrong with this guy when they see my collection.  Then I guess it’s off to EBay!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1