IGNORED

Arcade Marquee Backlights

CodysGameRoom

I've got some arcade marquees I want to hang up, but a few of them are the kind that look better with a backlight. I don't want them to protrude from the wall too much. Does anyone here display marquees? Do you backlight them? If so, what do you use? I was thinking about some type of led lights or something but im just not sure what would look good. 

• Like 1

You loose a few inches from the wall,

and this isn’t an option for everyone...

but years ago i made a dividing wall with lighted marquees 

used a table-saw to cut slots in 1x6’s

and mounted fixtures between.

it no longer exists but i kept the boards.

Hope you find something that works

45982627-CCDB-4574-AF16-E361AB5155BE.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

I've got some arcade marquees I want to hang up, but a few of them are the kind that look better with a backlight. I don't want them to protrude from the wall too much. Does anyone here display marquees? Do you backlight them? If so, what do you use? I was thinking about some type of led lights or something but im just not sure what would look good. 

Only posting this because you'll need to dig further, but it's a perfect example.

http://www.neogeoledmarquee.info/

or this: it's 1/2" wide, thin, appropriate width ( https://www.arcaderenovations.com/arcade-marquee-led-light-strip.html )

This is a modern replacement for those old lights in the Neo Geo MVS cabinet where the mini marquees pop.  They sell different sized sets of them, maybe they can do a total strip as NG used that too for one off cabs.

It's very thin, sips power, gives even lighting.  You could in theory stuff one of these in something probably no worse than 2" deep and run a power cord with a switch down to a plug, or run it off some batteries if you rigged it.

I've considered it myself due to the various mini marquees I have, getting another neo geo marquee sleeved panel for the things, or just something custom either way.  The art is great, sucks leaving it in a mvs shockbox out of sight.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Social Team · Posted
On 8/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

I recently made some pancake soft box lights using LEDs and if I had to make a marquees light I'd totally use the same idea that I did with making my LED soft box lights. You can can get some SUPER narrow LED lights (BTF's narrow LEDs I've used) and then use a small DC motor controller (My Amazon purchase) to dial how bright you want the lights.  Of course you still need to add a 12V power supply to the list.  But putting the LEDs on the sides/depth part of the box that hold the marquee with a reflective back (Reynolds aluminum foil) would work well.  You could totally have the thing be only be 2 inches deep.  With the lights on the side you'll likely get a diffused light source so you won't see individual light sources like you would if right behind the marquees.  Course if the marquees are opaque enough you could do that so long has you have the LEDs evenly spaced out and have the intensity turned down as well.  

For reference this pan is only 3 inches deep and you can see how many rows of the LEDS I filled in that space.  I did 3 different LED light temperatures so I have 3 DC controllers to control each one.

DDOe69q.jpg

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted

If you get one of these LED light controllers you can control the LEDs with Alexa commands or your cell phone (Amazon link to product).  I did this with some BTF RGBW LEDS.  Some tips for you, if you don't expect the lights to be exposed to water then DON'T get any water protection as the silicone that protects the LED strip is a bitch to deal with.  It'll also cost a bit more too.

5YCJiCq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...