IGNORED

What those game codes stand for

For example NES-UM-USA-1 is Super Mario Bros 3.

We all know that the first part is the game system, the second part is the title, the third part is the region and the fourth part (if present) is the revision.

But what exactly does the game title code stand for?

How does UM stand for Mario 3? UM certainly does mean something, they didn’t just arbitrarily assign two letters. So what does it stand for? 

Let’s try to identify the meaning of as many game title codes as we can in this thread.

If you take a guess at something and someone corrects you, please edit your post to include the correction

Edited by phart010

SNES Breath of Fire

SNS-BF-USA   BF=Breath of Fire (duh!)

SNES Super Castlevani 4

SNS-AD-USA    AD=Akumajou Dracula

SNES Final Fantasy II

SNS-F4-USA    F4= Final Fantasy 4

SNES Final Fantasy III

SNS-F6-USA    F6=Final Fantasy 6

SNES Congo’s Caper

SNS-J2-USA   J2=Joe and Mac2

SNES Joe and Mac 2

SNS-J3-USA   J3=Joe and Mac3

SNES Rival Turf

SNS-RB-USA   RB=Rush’n Beat

SNES Super Mario Allstars

SNS-4M-USA   4M= 4 Mario games

SNES Super Mario Allstars + Mario World

SNS-5M-USA   5M= 5 Mario games

Edited by phart010

What he said there, they borrow from the Japanese name (the castlevania one) or they use some pair of letters from the english name.  There's always some sense to it where it fits as a code that makes sense.  Some like the last 2 with allstars and allstars+mario world, sneaky smart if you think about it.

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

How does UM stand for Mario 3? UM certainly does mean something, they didn’t just arbitrarily assign two letters. So what does it stand for? 

By the time SMB 3 came out, they probably exhausted a considerable number of game codes. My guess is UM is sUper Mario.

27 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

By the time SMB 3 came out, they probably exhausted a considerable number of game codes. My guess is UM is sUper Mario.

My guess would have been Ultra Mario Bros. Ultra is this next order of magnitude after Super and we already know Nintendo would make use of the word Ultra because they used it for the project codename Ultra 64

Edited by phart010

9 hours ago, DaddyMulk said:

UN Squadron: SNS-E8-USA (“Area 88”, which begins with a short E sound of sorts in Japanese).

With UM, I assume they’d run out of letters at the point and didn’t know how to abbreviate it until some kind soul said, “Uh…Mario?”

Japanese name is why dude. Area 88.  But romanized in Japanese print it's E-ri-a (Area) Hachii juu(80) Hachi(8).  Hence E8.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:46 AM, Tanooki said:

Japanese name is why dude. Area 88.  But romanized in Japanese print it's E-ri-a (Area) Hachii juu(80) Hachi(8).  Hence E8.

As a translator with 20 years of experience, I’m well aware of this. I was trying to explain it to the non-native speakers out there. 

17 hours ago, DaddyMulk said:

As a translator with 20 years of experience, I’m well aware of this. I was trying to explain it to the non-native speakers out there. 

Sorry just went by your 'Uh Mario' comment and went with it.  That didn't feel like an explanation, more like humor.