IGNORED

So what do I do with these leftover smartphones my wife had: SM-A126U, LG-LML413DL, LG-LML713DL

Estil

So when my wife passed away last month (sniff... 😞 ) and I got her stuff back from the nursing home, I also got her leftover smartphones and they were:

LG: LML413DL (maybe I better keep this one as it's got her fingerprints all over it and I guess was the one she most used)

LG: LML713DL (much better condition, doesn't have hardly any 'prints on the screen)

Samsung: SM-A126U (the one looks about new...it even still has the peel off plastic on the screen!)

So as you guys know, I'm very much a homebody and don't got much use for a smartphone (the regular landline is plenty good enough for me) though I reckon I should keep one so I can at least take kitty pics/videos so I can show my grandma and aunt when I come see them every Sunday? 🙂  I mean if the last two phones on this list are still worth some semi-decent coin I would like to offer them for anyone here (for a fair price of course) who could put them to good regular use.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with them.  If they're worth good money, you could always sell them and get that (back) out of them.  My ongoing suggestion, though, would be to donate them to a battered women's shelter (after they've been properly wiped, of course), as they'll go to people who really need it and more often than not can't afford it at that point in time.  Even without phone service, an operational, modern phone is still able to dial 911 on any network that it's capable of connecting to (frequency, not carrier-specific), so it can give folks a much needed lifeline for emergencies if nothing else.

• Like 3

Quick check of the Bay says:

LG: LML413DL  ~ $25-$30

LG: LML713DL  ~$30-$40

Samsung: SM-A126U ~$100

Of course it could vary, and this is if you sell them yourself and get the going rate. If you take them to a reseller, you'll get a fraction of that, but it's coin in your pocket.

14 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Quick check of the Bay says:

LG: LML413DL  ~ $25-$30

LG: LML713DL  ~$30-$40

Samsung: SM-A126U ~$100

Of course it could vary, and this is if you sell them yourself and get the going rate. If you take them to a reseller, you'll get a fraction of that, but it's coin in your pocket.

Do pawn shops typically take them?  Sounds like it's only the Samsung that I can get anything decent from...the others I suppose I'm better off just keeping around as spares or something.

6 minutes ago, Estil said:

Do pawn shops typically take them?  Sounds like it's only the Samsung that I can get anything decent from...the others I suppose I'm better off just keeping around as spares or something.

Maybe, but don't count on more than a quarter of the value, if that.

You may not know this but you can completely use a phone on Wi-Fi without having a subscription with a carrier. It will work to browse the internet, Facebook, Instagram, Google Maps, alarm, everything for which you would normally use a phone. The only 2 things you can't do are calling and texting but these can actually be accomplished with other internet based applications. You can call people with Facebook / Skype / What's App and you can text people with Slack / Facebook.

I think cellular carriers are going to be the next cable companies because you don't really need them anymore.

3 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You may not know this but you can completely use a phone on Wi-Fi without having a subscription with a carrier. It will work to browse the internet, Facebook, Instagram, Google Maps, alarm, everything for which you would normally use a phone. The only 2 things you can't do are calling and texting but these can actually be accomplished with other internet based applications. You can call people with Facebook / Skype / What's App and you can text people with Slack / Facebook.

I think cellular carriers are going to be the next cable companies because you don't really need them anymore.

I do also have her red/black (her favorite colors) tablet that I know one distinctive use for...to play those Simon's Cat games! 😄