IGNORED

Super Game Boy games

Nintegageo

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it.  The speed difference would have been hardware related.  I know the Super Game Boy 2 that came out in Japan had the right clock rate.  It was a barely noticeable difference.  I think you're only gaining 1 - 2 seconds over a minute.  The main reason I think they fixed it was to support the link cable. 

@Nintegageo No

I could leave it with that, but seriously, no.  And the best indicator of that, Japan got a correction, the Super Gameboy 2.  Sure it added a link port and a cool shell, other little extras, but the big one, the SGB runs at slightly the wrong speed to gameboy spec, SGB2 they corrected the hardware.

So no, SGB games are not programmed to play at a proper speed because SGB1 doesn't and SGB2 does.

All they're coded for is pretty cut and dry in 95%+ of the cases
- A border or multiple borders
- At least one set of 4 shades of color or more
- Using some tricks you can set 4 colors per tile in various spots, duping the system to do more colors**
- Digitized audio samples ***
- The rare case of hiding an entire extra full game too ****

** Donkey Kong does this not in play, but on the world maps per area, you'll get like a dozen colors.  SNK (Takara converted) neo-geo port fighters the player select, various other non-action spaces also get added color
*** Again Donkey Kong on SGB Pauline yells HELP HELP! and on Kirby's Dream Land 2 you get wind and other SFX in maps or in play for 2 examples
**** Space Invaders SGB -- GB version, Super GB version, or boot a full mini SNES only game hiding on there too.

20 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@Nintegageo No

I could leave it with that, but seriously, no.  And the best indicator of that, Japan got a correction, the Super Gameboy 2.  Sure it added a link port and a cool shell, other little extras, but the big one, the SGB runs at slightly the wrong speed to gameboy spec, SGB2 they corrected the hardware.

So no, SGB games are not programmed to play at a proper speed because SGB1 doesn't and SGB2 does.

All they're coded for is pretty cut and dry in 95%+ of the cases
- A border or multiple borders
- At least one set of 4 shades of color or more
- Using some tricks you can set 4 colors per tile in various spots, duping the system to do more colors**
- Digitized audio samples ***
- The rare case of hiding an entire extra full game too ****

** Donkey Kong does this not in play, but on the world maps per area, you'll get like a dozen colors.  SNK (Takara converted) neo-geo port fighters the player select, various other non-action spaces also get added color
*** Again Donkey Kong on SGB Pauline yells HELP HELP! and on Kirby's Dream Land 2 you get wind and other SFX in maps or in play for 2 examples
**** Space Invaders SGB -- GB version, Super GB version, or boot a full mini SNES only game hiding on there too.

Didn’t one of the Bomberman games also have support for the SNES 2nd player controller port

22 hours ago, phart010 said:

Didn’t one of the Bomberman games also have support for the SNES 2nd player controller port

Not sure, maybe, if it was, it would be Bomberman GB where he looks like Indiana Jones.  IT's Bomberman GB2 in Japan, we got excluded from GB3 (and GB became Wario Blast.)