IGNORED

Ebay completed search broken?

yZoneFox

I've tested this on my phone and desktop.

I've been having trouble getting any results on completed listings for the last few days / week, but the results are inconsistent.

Sometimes I'll enter a search and I'll see a few results then a blue banner stating "Results matching fewer words" then results which match some or all of my keywords. I noticed this when searching ps2 nba live 07.

I also have completed searches that show ZERO results for queries that return lots of relevant results when not checking the completed listings box. I noticed that if one of my keywords is in quotes like in the search "shadow the hedgehog" ps2, I get zero results.

However, I noticed that if I have a term I want removed from your results by putting a hyphen in front, using quotes for those remove keywords still works such as contra -"mega drive"

I think there are other cases that return zero results, but I haven't nailed down what's causing this. I've tried Firefox and Chrome. I've turned off ad blockers and virus scanners with their built-in ad blockers.

Is anyone else experiencing strange behavior with complete listings search?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been seeing the same thing on certain searches. For me, for instance, searching sold listings for "pokemon blue" finds almost nothing (except a few results under "matching fewer words", like you) - but searching for "blue pokemon" works fine. I think it's a bug in eBay's system somewhere.

Agreed, eBay's search engine can be weird at times.  In fact, there have even been cases where I have tried to search for an uncommon item, tried multiple terms and searches and I couldn't find it.  I'd come to here or NintendoAge, ask for a price check, and then someone would screenshot a couple of sold listings, as well as one or two for sale now. I don't know why, but I'm guessing it has to do with the suggestions algorithm getting hung up when it applies your profile to the search.  I have no proof but it's just a hunch because this seems to be a bit different from person to person.

There are genuine reasons you wouldn't see a listing in search results - the most common is that it did not offer delivery to the address you're using for search. For instance if I search with delivery to my actual Canadian postcode, I don't see any results for listings (sold or otherwise) that only deliver to the US (but if I click a direct link to such a listing it will work, it'll just say that it may not deliver to my address). I have to search with the address set to a US zip code to see those listings in search results. That's normal, and intended.

This is a new thing that's only happening in the last couple of days. Right now if I search sold listings in the Video Games category for "blue pokemon", item location "worldwide", for delivery to 90210 I get 2411 results. If I run the same search but for "pokemon blue" I get "No exact matches found". It's not just the more-or-less normal way that all sorts of parameters affect exactly what you see in an eBay search, it's a flat out bug.

Edited by AdamW

Ok, I'm glad other people are experiencing weirdness and it's not just my setup. Yes, I believe it has only started this past week, including today when I tried "dishonored 2" and got no completed listings, but without quotes returns 505.

This is a very annoying bug as workarounds for titles on multiple PlayStation platforms or things on a specific Game Boy are really annoying to type or may be impossible without sweeping through a lot of irrelevant results.