IGNORED

Danger Will Robinson!

Tabonga

We have another major fire in the mountains - which grew exponentially in a 24 hour period.  At least three mountain towns have been evacuated - Grand Lake (500 or so population, Grandby (2100 or so population) and Aspen Park (6100 or so population).  There is a major snowstorm headed our way this weekend so hopefully it will either put out all of the  fires or at least slow them up significantly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/10/22/colorado-wildfire-east-troublesome/

We are still having a lot of particulates in the air down here due to all of the fires.  We have a small window ac in the bedroom which I have been running at night on fan only - this seems to filter out a lot of the crap in the air so we can sleep a bit easier.

Edited by Tabonga

39 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

We have had some really bad beetle kill the last 10+ years. Plus people with zero respect for the land coming here because it’s “the place to be” doesn’t help at all. 
As unfortunate as this is, I believe it’s a blessing in disguise. Mother Nature will fix itself, humans be damned.

The native Americans used to torch forests every so often to get rid of deadfall and excess brush - not only renewed the soil but offered a better habitat for wildlife (which they would then be able to consume).

Our mode for the last several decades has been to accumulate more and more deadfall to fuel larger and more intense fires to occur.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tabonga said:

The native Americans used to torch forests every so often to get rid of deadfall and excess brush - not only renewed the soil but offered a better habitat for wildlife (which they would then be able to consume).

Our mode for the last several decades has been to accumulate more and more deadfall to fuel larger and more intense fires to occur.

Im kinda surprised they don't have controlled burns to alleviate the potential for giant wild fires. Like how they purposely cause avalanches to make it safer to use a snow covered mountain. Maybe they do already do it and Im just not aware

20 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im kinda surprised they don't have controlled burns to alleviate the potential for giant wild fires. Like how they purposely cause avalanches to make it safer to use a snow covered mountain. Maybe they do already do it and Im just not aware

From my understanding the environmental crowd got those mostly  banned a long time ago.  By and large the same thought process that prevented spraying for the pine beetle when they were still limited in  numbers and likely containable

In Colorado (and I think California - where it may be banned altogether) the fees for harvesting dead fall are too excessive for a process that is marginally profitable to  begin with.  From what I have read in California the power companies can't even clear along the power lines - so a snapped power line often winds up starting a fire,

IMHO it winds up being a situation where one winds up destroying* the forest to in order to save it,

*Along with any signs of civilization that happen to be in the path of the resulting  maelstrom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

From my understanding the environmental crowd got those mostly  banned a long time ago.  By and large the same thought process that prevented spraying for the pine beetle when they were still limited in  numbers and likely containable

In Colorado (and I think California - where it may be banned altogether) the fees for harvesting dead fall are too excessive for a process that is marginally profitable to  begin with.  From what I have read in California the power companies can't even clear along the power lines - so a snapped power line often winds up starting a fire,

IMHO it winds up being a situation where one winds up destroying* the forest to in order to save it,

*Along with any signs of civilization that happen to be in the path of the resulting  maelstrom.

it's really sad when people can't think beyond the surface of "your burning tree!!! banned!" it's like they stick their fingers in their ears and won't listen to the logic behind it. Burn a smaller patch of area bere and there and save the whole from going up all at once

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

it's really sad when people can't think beyond the surface of "your burning tree!!! banned!" it's like they stick their fingers in their ears and won't listen to the logic behind it. Burn a smaller patch of area bere and there and save the whole from going up all at once

I think that often  special interest groups (of all stripes) are more focused on an agenda (which typically encompasses a host of items) rather than the results of whatever goals they are pursuing.  IMHO it is often a case of a form of power being a corruptive influence.