IGNORED

Need some help from the Raspberry Pi experts!

Need some help from the Raspberry Pi experts!

My current Pi is running RetroPie and I love it. Simple, easy to use, looks good. The only downfall is that it only has emulators and ROMs for NES/SNES/Genesis/GB/GBC/Atari

I see a lot of them advertised that have N64, PS1, Dreamcast, etc - are these any good? I’ve always heard emulation sucks for those consoles?

If it is good, any recommendations on where I can get one pre-loaded? Zero chance I’ll ever load my own.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A standard RetroPie installation should have more emulators than that, including the three you listed. They might need to be enabled in the menu. Did your Pi come preloaded with ROMs already?

N64 emulation has always been kind of hit or miss, due to the complexity of that console.

2 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

A standard RetroPie installation should have more emulators than that, including the three you listed. They might need to be enabled in the menu. Did your Pi come preloaded with ROMs already?

N64 emulation has always been kind of hit or miss, due to the complexity of that console.

Yeah I bought it pre-loaded, the extra money is well worth it for me because it would take me weeks to DL everything and figure it out 

Ah, it might be the emulators are there, you just need to add ROMs to the specific folders. The selection menu doesn't usually display the emulators unless you have ROMs for them on the SD card (so you're not scrolling through forty or so systems you don't have any games for.)

Are you using a Pi3 or Pi4? Playstation should be decent, Sony didn't make it super complex like the N64. I have no idea on Dreamcast, so someone who is familiar will have to chime in.

22 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Ah, it might be the emulators are there, you just need to add ROMs to the specific folders. The selection menu doesn't usually display the emulators unless you have ROMs for them on the SD card (so you're not scrolling through forty or so systems you don't have any games for.)

Are you using a Pi3 or Pi4? Playstation should be decent, Sony didn't make it super complex like the N64. I have no idea on Dreamcast, so someone who is familiar will have to chime in.

I have a Pi3. The research I’ve done so far it seems like I really need a Pi4

A Pi3B+ or Pi4 should run PS1 fine, if using retroarch and you have the right cores. N64 is not playable on Pi3, and its ok on Pi4, but not great. It can run them, but the performance is very bad. Same with Dreamcast and Saturn. DS, GBA, SNES, Genesis, NES, Sega CD should run flawless. In order to run PS/N64/Dreamcast emulators, you need a more powerful single core CPU, which is the bottleneck with those systems, not the ram or GPU.

If you want something that can play everything up to PSP and dreamcast, you need an Odroid. It will run everything down almost without issue. If you want to run PS2/PS3, Gamecube, Wii, Wii u, you need a pretty high end PC, with a good graphics card. PS3 emulation is still not great, same with Switch, it's still early and has a 50/50 play rate.

2 hours ago, MaddenCollector said:

Way too dumb to do that haha

I think I found one that will work for my needs, we shall see

Flashing a image is super easy,there's really nothing to it.

Also since your new to all of this recalbox is very user friendly if you want to give that a try.

Edited by Pikkon

You need to create the subfolders on the USB that you use for it.  PM me if you need any expert help,  I have created a many, many RetroPi System. 

Try and stick a random ROM into any folder and you will see the system up there.  Here are the dumbed down instructions, after you take the USB out, it will create all the emulator folders, if you dont have a ROM in there, it wont show.  

USB stick

1. Ensure that the USB stick is formatted to FAT32 or exFAT, and that the SD card has enough free space to hold all ROMs
  2. Create a folder called retropie on the USB stick
  3. Plug it into the RetroPie system. If the USB stick has an activity light, wait for it to finish blinking, else wait a few minutes
  4. Remove the USB stick out and plug it into a computer
  5. Add the roms to their respective folders (within the retropie/roms folder) * this is where you will see all the emulators that ver is capable of running
  6. Plug it back into the RetroPie system. If the USB stick has an activity light, wait for it to finish blinking, else wait (with many GBs of ROMs, wait several hours)
  7. Remove the USB stick, the ROMs have been transferred from the USB to the SD card
  8. Refresh the game listing in Emulationstation by pressing F4, or choosing Restart Emulationstation/Restart System via the start menu
  9. The transferred games should now be visible within Emulationstation. If any are missing, return to step 6
Edited by DannyTheDonk