IGNORED

The Samurai NES "Indian Version"

This is my best guess:

We know that initial units of Samurai were Asian Version imported directly into the country. The Samurai labels were then applied onto the consoles.

I would say the same thing was done for game cartridges too for a short while. That cartridge looks to be 100% an Asian cartridge. Light grey shell, 5-screw, security bit screws. Probably the Samurai label on the back was applied onto it after being imported.

I'm the buyer of the Asian + Samurai cart.  As far as I can tell, @bowser is right, it's a first edition Asian cartridge with the Samurai sticker on the back on top of the original one, as you can see in the picture.  The fact that it has two back stickers also proves that it's not an Asian front and a Samurai back that someone slapped together.  It has flathead screws, which is consistent with other first edition Asians.  A nice surprise addition to my SMB variant collection, as I didn't even know this one existed.  Thanks for the history lesson, @bowser.

20211115_195644.jpg.ce0b1de9db434f2714a8d83980d9d06a.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got another one for the Samurai Sleuths.  It's not a Samurai technically, but I bought it from an ebayer in India.  It's an Asian version with a Spanish version code, NES-SM-ESP.  Weird.  Any thoughts?

1241989206_WeirdAsianMario.thumb.jpg.7305575ffa0cdf52b7b8230042775d83.jpg

1102825566_WeirdAsianMarioback.thumb.jpg.45f7b4b2bc937b476e4b36007f401382.jpg

Edited by wyansas
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, wyansas said:

Got another one for the Samurai Sleuths.  It's not a Samurai technically, but I bought it from an ebayer in India.  It's an Asian version with a Spanish version code, NES-SM-ESP.  Weird.  Any thoughts?

Wow that's a really weird hybrid. It has the same QC sticker and Phillips screws typically used on Samurai carts.

The front label appears to be of good quality making me think it's legit but the code throws me off. 

Are the pins gold when holding them up to the light? Does it look like a legit board?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the weird Asian-Spanish cart in the mail today, but one quick note on a wrench thrown into the mystery of the Asian/Samurai from a few posts up that I discovered when I opened it up to compare date codes today: it's NTSC with date codes from 86.  So it's not quite simply a first edition Asian with a Samurai back label on top of the Nintendo one.  The Samurai was PAL, and the Asians I have are PAL from 90 or 91.  While I was at it, I opened up my standard looking Super Mario Samurai and it had a non-Nintendo PCB that I hadn't seen before.  No idea what that all implies.

Now on to the Asian-Spanish cart.  Like @bowser mentioned, it has Philips head screws like a Samurai, and I managed to get the PCB out without having to remove the QC sticker on the back in order to get to the center screw.

The label has a few things weird about it aside from the Asian text and Spanish code mismatch:
There are a couple spots where there's clearly something under the label, probably pieces of a failed or removed previous label.
The gold paint of the seal of quality isn't shiny like it usually is, but the quality of the paper and the rest of the print is of the standard, high quality of a normal label.
The Asian Version text slants noticeably down to the right, is placed lower than it is in the regular Asian version, and is in a shorter and less boldface font.  The N at the end is about a millimeter closer to the edge than the A at the front.

The PCB looks good and official.  I compared the date codes to a Spanish version and Asian version with similar labels, and found those to both have 9129 on the PRG.  A picture of that comparison is below.

Anything else you all want to know?  What do you think???

20220523_182759.thumb.jpg.84d21d7e06faf6349386e7c6f19b1bab.jpg

1312385968_20220523_181244(1).jpg.80727ec3658e9f38629f3fe493adbac5.jpg

20220523_182457.jpg.cf2a76dcebfab2dce5fecc1c00a7207d.jpg

Edited by wyansas

@wyansas

1) The 1st edition Asian Samurai SMB: I'm quite sure the seller* swapped out the original PCB, most probably because it got damaged or wouldn't boot. These days there's awareness that Samurai carts are valuable to collectors and unscrupulous sellers will do anything to make a quick buck. SMB carts from all regions are easily available in India and it's not hard to get an NTSC PCB. Would you mind posting a clear picture of the board? Is the lockout chip also for NTSC consoles?

2) The SMB Samurai cart: I would say only 30% of carts with pure Samurai labels have legit Nintendo boards. Most of them have bootlegged boards with windowed ROM chips. Samurai officials claim these are the work of a pirate outfit but I HIGHLY doubt that. I'm pretty sure Samurai themselves bootlegged the boards, with or without Nintendo's knowledge. And I have pretty damning proof: I found a few games with original Nintendo boards fitted with windowed ROM chips! Now where would a pirate outfit get official Nintendo boards from? Pretty sure it was Samurai themselves transitioning from 100% official boards to 100% bootlegs.

3) The Asian-Spanish cart: I have no damn clue 😅. The board has a lockout chip with the code 3196A and that was meant for Asian and Hong Kong versions. Maybe the label was just a weird misprint 🤷‍♂️

* Maybe not your seller but a previous one, basically from the original overseas seller.

Edited by bowser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wyansas said:

Great info, thanks for the schooling, @bowser. I'll take all your theories as gospel, all sounds good to me.

Here's the Asian-Samurai pcb

20220524_010017.jpg

Uh oh, I might have to take back my comments about the board swap because of that 3196 lockout chip. Never seen that before. Does this work in an Asian Version NES? The usual lockout chip for this region is 3196A.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, bowser said:

Uh oh, I might have to take back my comments about the board swap because of that 3196 lockout chip. Never seen that before. Does this work in an Asian Version NES? The usual lockout chip for this region is 3196A.

3196 was the lockout chip used before the middle of 1987 (or something like this, I don't have my notes right now). They made a small revision, and thus 3196A was born.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...