IGNORED

Game Debate #2: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Every video game I've ever played in my life automatically equipped any item you pick up so I had no idea I needed to do that myself. Why would you not want to wear the clothes?

I guess you haven't played many games then.

5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

So what I found out is I'm unable to 100% finish this game without purchasing $300 in plastic toys to get all of the additional weapons and armour. This is one of the dumbest concepts I have ever been exposed to in video games. I laughed when she told me because I thought she was joking.

You must be new to modern gaming if you are unfamiliar with the concept of DLC (whether traditional or Amiibo).  The good news is that the items that the Amiibo provide are not required to 100% the game.  They are purely optional.  

Why did you put 1,000 ours into a game that you clearly didn't enjoy?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Pulling these here from the Immortals Fenyx Rising as it's much more specifically BOTW then that game

On 12/27/2020 at 2:39 PM, Strange said:

Can I ask what distinguishes an open world game as a “BOTW clone?” Or rather, what makes BOTW its own thing? I enjoyed BOTW but I didn’t see it as the groundbreaking milestone of gaming some others have. It was good but it was also similar to many open world games I’ve been playing since the late 2000s. I just sort of brushed it off as Nintendo-exclusive gamers getting a first taste of a great open world experience.

On 12/27/2020 at 2:56 PM, fox said:

BOTW cribs more from the Ubisoft formula than people are willing to admit

On 12/27/2020 at 3:32 PM, Sumez said:

On the surface maybe (hur dur it has towers). But if you've spent more than a few hours with any of the more generic "ubisoft game" games, the difference is pretty obvious. BOTW has a lot more unique experiences scattered around the world, rather than having it just act as a generic playground for repeated missions randomly dotted across the map.

I wouldn't exactly say BOTW is wholly original, but it definitely leans a lot more towards games like Elder Scrolls, Witcher 3, etc. than something like Assassin's Creed, GTA, or Far Cry.
And it definitely does the open world map thing better than any of the above.

A lot of this can all be said about Open World in general. For better or worse it is what works and what is popular.

At the least imo what makes BOTW stand out is that Zelda flavor and Nintendo flair put into it. It just works and is smooth, streamlined. Polished. That cannot be said about many Ubisoft titles, especially the likes of Assassins Creed which, frankly, is almost always the same game. There are also a dozen of them, and only one (so far) BOTW

Not to say it is all bad, but repetition does make things stand out more, good or bad.

• Like 1