IGNORED

Dreamcast GDEMU

DannyTheDonk

Anyone have any experience switching from CD Drive to GDEMU SD drive (Lets you play owned backup games off of a SD card, completely removes the CD drive) on the Sega Dreamcast?  I am thinking about doing this mod but would like some feedback from people that have actually done the swap, such as where you bought it from and any issues you have ran into with it.  Thanks!

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/operation/gdemu-operation/

There are several different brands/makers of SD mods for the Dreamcast, but I own the exact model you are talking about (GDemu).  I've had mine for more years then I can remember.  I bought mine second hand off someone who was getting out of Dreamcast collecting, so I got a pretty good deal on it, considering there were still waiting lists to get new ones at the time.  

I've been pretty happy with it.  Honestly, I don't believe I've bought a Dreamcast game since getting it.  The biggest downside is that it doesn't have a menu initially.  I own nearly every model of Everdrive, so I'm accustomed to a nice menu to navigate the list of games.  Fortunately, someone else developed a menu system called GEmenu, which you can save to the SD card and it allows you to browse through the list of game just like an Everdrive.  Assuming that they haven't added this functionality in recent years (I haven't kept up with recent models), I would recommend doing this as well.  I also recommend using software that allows you to update the region on your ISOs which will allow you to play Japanese games on your US Dreamcast.  Again, it's possible that newer models do this for, but I have to do it manually with my version.  This is how I can play Ikaruga on my US Dreamcst.  

The only real issue I have had is that occasionally, I've had a game freeze up, or sometime the music will stop.  It's pretty rare and resetting the game always fixes this.  I also keep a second Dreamcast next to my DGemu model so that I can play my disc based games and all I have to do is switch the cables from one model to the next.  

EDIT:  One more thing that I will add is that I've always appreciated that the GDemu version that I own doesn't make any permanent changes to your Dreamcast.  If you decide to remove it, you can reinstall your CD laser and everything will be back to original.  Some other brands require making holes in the casing.  This isn't the end of the world, but I like to keep stuff as close to original as possible.  

Edited by TDIRunner

I used the gdusb for a while. It was ok. Gdemu was never up for sale when I looked.  Chinese clones came out but I would rather send money to the creator.

Terraonion has MODE available for order. It works on dreamcast and Saturn.. From what I have seen it is no solder for both consoles. That's where I would be going if I was in the market for an ODE. Very happy with the neoSD I got from them.

Edited by zeppelin03

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

There are several different brands/makers of SD mods for the Dreamcast, but I own the exact model you are talking about (GDemu).  I've had mine for more years then I can remember.  I bought mine second hand off someone who was getting out of Dreamcast collecting, so I got a pretty good deal on it, considering there were still waiting lists to get new ones at the time.  

I've been pretty happy with it.  Honestly, I don't believe I've bought a Dreamcast game since getting it.  The biggest downside is that it doesn't have a menu initially.  I own nearly every model of Everdrive, so I'm accustomed to a nice menu to navigate the list of games.  Fortunately, someone else developed a menu system called GEmenu, which you can save to the SD card and it allows you to browse through the list of game just like an Everdrive.  Assuming that they haven't added this functionality in recent years (I haven't kept up with recent models), I would recommend doing this as well.  I also recommend using software that allows you to update the region on your ISOs which will allow you to play Japanese games on your US Dreamcast.  Again, it's possible that newer models do this for, but I have to do it manually with my version.  This is how I can play Ikaruga on my US Dreamcst.  

The only real issue I have had is that occasionally, I've had a game freeze up, or sometime the music will stop.  It's pretty rare and resetting the game always fixes this.  I also keep a second Dreamcast next to my DGemu model so that I can play my disc based games and all I have to do is switch the cables from one model to the next.  

EDIT:  One more thing that I will add is that I've always appreciated that the GDemu version that I own doesn't make any permanent changes to your Dreamcast.  If you decide to remove it, you can reinstall your CD laser and everything will be back to original.  Some other brands require making holes in the casing.  This isn't the end of the world, but I like to keep stuff as close to original as possible.  

Good information, thank you.  Looks like the firmware (to include the clones) has updated a more user friendly menu from what I can see.  Im with you, i like a nice emulation menu, preferably with screenshots of the games I can select.  The legit Gdemu is currently sold out so I may try a clone and see how that works.  Id be happy to buy an original from the maker, but looks likes hes closed the pre orders for now.  I cant wait to get one and play around, Dreamcast is my favorite console and would love something like this.  

4 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

I used the gdusb for a while. It was ok. Gdemu was never up for sale when I looked.  Chinese clones came out but I would rather send money to the creator.

Terraonion has MODE available for order. It works on dreamcast and Saturn.. From what I have seen it is no solder for both consoles. That's where I would be going if I was in the market for an ODE. Very happy with the neoSD I got from them.

Thanks for the info!  I dont mind soldering, but I would prefer not to.  Id rather send my money to creator as well but looks like hes currently not producing them. 

31 minutes ago, DannyTheDonk said:

Thanks for the info!  I dont mind soldering, but I would prefer not to.  Id rather send my money to creator as well but looks like hes currently not producing them. 

I followed that project for a couple years and was comfortable abandoning the plan to buy GDemu.  So far, chatting with some people I trust, Mode seems very nice.  I'm trying to figure out if I can convince my wife to get on for our Saturn.

Edited by zeppelin03

I have a chinese GDEMU.  I could never get the official one.  You definitely want GDmenu with it if you're going to get one.  I'm planning to ditch it for the MODE when that comes out.  I really like Terraonion's stuff, and I haven't ever had any problems with their products.  Most things like this and everdrives always feel incomplete and buggy to me, but Terraonion's products always worked the way they said they would.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CMR said:

I have a chinese GDEMU.  I could never get the official one.  You definitely want GDmenu with it if you're going to get one.  I'm planning to ditch it for the MODE when that comes out.  I really like Terraonion's stuff, and I haven't ever had any problems with their products.  Most things like this and everdrives always feel incomplete and buggy to me, but Terraonion's products always worked the way they said they would.

I agree completely. The neoSD has nice menus, preview images, and other info.  That stuff rounds out the product nicely.