IGNORED

Using cassette cases to store Game Gear carts.

Game Gear is the only Sega system I have interest in, and although I'm very much a CIB collector, I decided to go loose for this system to save myself some trouble and a lot of money. I really like the idea of storing them in cassette cases with custom art (and I've seen photos of this working), but I'm having trouble working a few things out:

1. I can't find a suitable cassette case that fits GG cartridges. Anyone have links to some that work?

2. I collect NA games, so any game I put in these cases would be North American. I'm having trouble finding a template for Game Gear games (specifically for cassette games. I figured that wouldn't be too hard to find since the GameBoy had them, but guess I was wrong).

3. This one is just a bonus, but would a Codemasters title fit in one of these cassette cases?

Thanks, please let me know if you've got answers to any of these.

I've seen this done with GameBoy games many times, but never with Game Gear.  There are several threads at The Cover Project dedicated to GB artwork for those types of cases.  I'm not sure how the GG games would fit.  They are just slightly too big and that's probably why you aren't finding artwork either.    

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I've seen this done with GameBoy games many times, but never with Game Gear.  There are several threads at The Cover Project dedicated to GB artwork for those types of cases.  I'm not sure how the GG games would fit.  They are just slightly too big and that's probably why you aren't finding artwork either.    

Ah, that's irritating. Any suggestions for storage then?

Shadowfox has created actual GameGear cases over at customgamecases.com.  I used modified versions of his Game Boy cases from the same site.  I modified my GB cases long before he developed his GG cases and I haven't gotten around to upgrading.  His cases aren't cheap, but they are very high quality.  Same goes for his other cases.  All are excellent quality.  

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Shadowfox has created actual GameGear cases over at customgamecases.com.  I used modified versions of his Game Boy cases from the same site.  I modified my GB cases long before he developed his GG cases and I haven't gotten around to upgrading.  His cases aren't cheap, but they are very high quality.  Same goes for his other cases.  All are excellent quality.  

Yeah, the price is what really gets me there. If I were to buy cases for every single game then I'd be spending almost $1000. I will admit they look quite nice though. Maybe I'll keep looking for now, and possibly come back to that if I can't find another option. Thanks.

Yeah, I get that.  With most of his cases, you can buy in bulk without covers (and print your own) and save a lot of money.  I'm not sure why he isn't doing that with the GG cases, but it probably has something to do with getting the tooling costs paid for.  He has to front a lot of money to get the tooling built.  

Can you just cut out the prong things in the cassette holder to make room? I think you have to do that for GB games anyways. It’s been awhile since I have put mine in cassette holders. 

edit: yeah game gear games are just slightly to big just tried one

Edited by a3quit4s

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Can you just cut out the prong things in the cassette holder to make room? I think you have to do that for GB games anyways. It’s been awhile since I have put mine in cassette holders. 

edit: yeah game gear games are just slightly to big just tried one

yeah its a real shame. I have no idea how i'm going to store them. maybe ill just toss them in a plastic container.

Just now, EdgeOfPortal said:

yeah its a real shame. I have no idea how i'm going to store them. maybe ill just toss them in a plastic container.

There is one other option I forgot to mention.  As I said, I put my GG games in modified versions of the Game Boy cases from customgamecases.com.  However, you could just find old Nintendo DS cases and modify those as well.  All you have to do is cut out some of the plastic on the inside.  Those cases take the exact same size art as the before mentioned Game Boy cases, so you should be able to find some of the artwork.  Those cases won't hold manuals, but they do look good on a shelf.  

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

There is one other option I forgot to mention.  As I said, I put my GG games in modified versions of the Game Boy cases from customgamecases.com.  However, you could just find old Nintendo DS cases and modify those as well.  All you have to do is cut out some of the plastic on the inside.  Those cases take the exact same size art as the before mentioned Game Boy cases, so you should be able to find some of the artwork.  Those cases won't hold manuals, but they do look good on a shelf.  

Oh that sounds nice. Maybe I'll give that a shot with a spare DS case.

Inside.

Again, these are the Game Boy cases from customgamecases.com.  The circled red areas are the parts I cut out.  Afterwards, I added the foam to hold the game in.  You would need to cut out different plastic in a DS case, but the idea is the same.  The foam is purely optional if you don't want the game moving around.

5qsw8h45y99fifc4g.jpg

35dd65k9sjrvd134g.jpg

f5txgu66nfeb6as4g.jpg

• Like 1

Alternatively, keep them in dust covers. You can take cassette tape racks, remove every two cassette shelves and it should be wide enough to hold them. I did this for Game Boy games and I have have another rack for Game Gear. I want to post a photo once I load up my games on these racks. The best part is that you can keep them either flat and stack them, or hang them on the wall.

13 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Inside.

Again, these are the Game Boy cases from customgamecases.com.  The circled red areas are the parts I cut out.  Afterwards, I added the foam to hold the game in.  You would need to cut out different plastic in a DS case, but the idea is the same.  The foam is purely optional if you don't want the game moving around.

5qsw8h45y99fifc4g.jpg

35dd65k9sjrvd134g.jpg

f5txgu66nfeb6as4g.jpg

Looks very nice. Where did you get the foam?

8 minutes ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Looks very nice. Where did you get the foam?

You can buy foam at any craft place, but the specific foam that I used is the following:

https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/craftsman-foam-drawer-organizers/12230

I bought it because the black matched the inside of the case, and it's designed to cut very easily without leaving a mess of debris from the foam.  I also bought it YEARS ago when Sears was still a place people went to, but I'm sure it can still be found somewhere.  

20 minutes ago, RH said:

Alternatively, keep them in dust covers. You can take cassette tape racks, remove every two cassette shelves and it should be wide enough to hold them. I did this for Game Boy games and I have have another rack for Game Gear. I want to post a photo once I load up my games on these racks. The best part is that you can keep them either flat and stack them, or hang them on the wall.

I'm not really following, but I would love to see pictures once you have them.  

20 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm not really following, but I would love to see pictures once you have them.  

This forum software hasn't been my friend lately. After an attempt to post a better explanation, but constantly getting crahses, here's a photo from part of a set I took for a future tutorial. This one photo should explain it all.

IMG_20200325_110638.jpg

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, RH said:

This forum software hasn't been my friend lately. After an attempt to post a better explanation, but constantly getting crahses, here's a photo from part of a set I took for a future tutorial. This one photo should explain it all.

Yeah, the definitely helps.  I like the idea, but I still prefer the cases.  

28 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Yeah, the definitely helps.  I like the idea, but I still prefer the cases.  

I do too, but my way saves both money and space.  I'm not saying it's "better" but when you have over 600 carts for handhelds, sometimes you just want to save the shelf space for the bigger CIB items you have, which is the boat I'm in.  I recently started unpacking and shelving my stuff and it's a loooooooot more than I assumed I had.

23 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

So, I've decided that a good way to collect GG games is to collect cart and manual and use these custom cases. They're expensive, but I figure they're still cheaper than the original boxes. These are made to fit manuals as well, right?

EDIT: Never mind. Somehow didn't see image showing manual and cart fitting in case.

Edited by EdgeOfPortal

On 4/10/2020 at 1:57 PM, RH said:

I do too, but my way saves both money and space.  I'm not saying it's "better" but when you have over 600 carts for handhelds, sometimes you just want to save the shelf space for the bigger CIB items you have, which is the boat I'm in.  I recently started unpacking and shelving my stuff and it's a loooooooot more than I assumed I had.

I've never been into portable gaming enough to even imagine that many carts.  If I was in your boat I would be doing something similar.  For me, I have the games that meant something to me from my childhood, plus a hand full of others that I've acquired over the years, and the rest is covered by my lineup of Everdrives.  That's good enough for me.  

• 2 months later...