IGNORED

VGNYsoft-Gigantic Army Switch release

I don't know how many people are aware of this release, but thought I bring it up for the Shiz and giggles. It's more or less another limited run publisher that has released a Switch game. This company seems to be an actual brick and mortar video game store in New York city, that has done prints of Dreamcast games in the past.  I was a little weary of pre-ordering from them as so many of these limited print companies has popped up over the past year or so and at least one (Warned Collectors) has turned into a scam.  So I waited to see if they would actually release the game. I got an email notification that they had begun to send out pre-order copies and took that as a good enough sign to order one, which I did this past Monday and received the game on Thursday.  

There copies are numbered, I received 131 of 1500. So that either means they have barely sold any if theyre going in order or means absolutely nothing if they just send random numbers. The only problem I have with the release is that it is NOT ESRB rated. That kinda kills it for me personally. I'm a set guy and lacking the rating basically makes it feel region-less rather than a US game. It will be a nice novelty piece for the collection I guess but I won't be purchasing any more releases from them.

I haven't had a chance to dive into the game itself yet seems like it could be fun like a Mech based Contra game.  Theyre still available for sale if anyone is more into the limited print thing.

https://www.vgnysoft.com/

http://videogamesnewyork.com/

35 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I don't know how many people are aware of this release, but thought I bring it up for the Shiz and giggles. It's more or less another limited run publisher that has released a Switch game. This company seems to be an actual brick and mortar video game store in New York city, that has done prints of Dreamcast games in the past.  I was a little weary of pre-ordering from them as so many of these limited print companies has popped up over the past year or so and at least one (Warned Collectors) has turned into a scam.  So I waited to see if they would actually release the game. I got an email notification that they had begun to send out pre-order copies and took that as a good enough sign to order one, which I did this past Monday and received the game on Thursday.  

There copies are numbered, I received 131 of 1500. So that either means they have barely sold any if theyre going in order or means absolutely nothing if they just send random numbers. The only problem I have with the release is that it is NOT ESRB rated. That kinda kills it for me personally. I'm a set guy and lacking the rating basically makes it feel region-less rather than a US game. It will be a nice novelty piece for the collection I guess but I won't be purchasing any more releases from them.

I haven't had a chance to dive into the game itself yet seems like it could be fun like a Mech based Contra game.  Theyre still available for sale if anyone is more into the limited print thing.

https://www.vgnysoft.com/

http://videogamesnewyork.com/

Well, according to the official Switch page, the game is rated E, so perhaps they just forgot to put the appropriate graphic on the art. Or physical releases require an extra fee from the ESRB and everyone wanted to save a couple bucks. But it's seems like a legit release for the Switch library and a great example of why I don't even bother collecting for new systems anymore.

UPDATE: It looks like the ESRB does indeed have two separate processes for digital and physical games. I'm assuming the company didn't do the legwork required for the rating of a physical copy, presumably due to time and budget constraints. Assuming the content is identical, the rating for the physical edition would also be E. BUT, Nintendo absolutely requires an ESRB rating for any official release. So the lack of a rating implies this is an illegitimate physical release or just an error. Either way, that makes it kind of cool.

Edited by DoctorEncore

9 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Well, according to the official Switch page, the game is rated E, so perhaps they just forgot to out it on the art. Or physical releases require an extra fee from the ESRB and everyone wanted to save a couple bucks. But it's definitely a legit release for the Switch library and a great example of why I don't even bother collecting for new systems anymore.

3 companies split a batch from France, America (videogsmesnewyork)..... and I think Play Asia. They purchased the carts and repackaged it with their own covers. They sold it on their website to get around for ESRB for now but they will end up like LRG and have to is they are a US based company. 

AD837436-1436-4CAA-984B-8637B51C174E.jpeg

C6BA1923-EF55-47A8-A275-D4AE60E2B5CB.jpeg

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Thanks 1

Vgnysoft is doing the NA release, Pixelheart is doing the EU release and Play Asia is doing the Asia release, or at least I think that is how it went down, I had this posted on NA when it was starting as it came off questionable but they all seemed to had gotten things resolved but this is a legit release.  I haven't ordered this one but I did pre-order Pixelhearts next release that is a 3 in one shmup collection 

5 hours ago, 11strings said:

This game is a European release. All of the carts are coded with EUR.  The copies VGNY and Play-Asia are getting simply have a different cover for each region.  They found a loophole, but I wouldn't count this as part of a US set.

This is how Im viewing it. Its just a PAL game someone slapped a new cover on

The Switch is region free, and there are no NTSC/PAL video standards. Nearly all modern regional releases are literally just the same thing with a new cover on.

Also get this because it's a great game, not because it's a part of any "set". Come on.

Edited by Sumez

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

The Switch is region free, and there are no NTSC/PAL video standards. Nearly all modern regional releases are literally just the same thing with a new cover on.

Also get this because it's a great game, not because it's a part of any "set". Come on.

It is a fun game and people should pick it up if they think its fun. But i only have so much money to work with so if I have to choose Im picking up games that are good and also go towards the set. Its just my preference 

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Are you people seriously buying every single US Switch release?!

As budget allows yea pretty much. Games are pretty cheap used. Ive always collected in sets. I already have N64, Master System, Jaguar, and 32x. Switch is the first system Ive been interested in collecting while its current. Makes it alot easier since everything is readily available and there is no "super rarez" price wise

On 1/5/2020 at 5:18 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

There copies are numbered, I received 131 of 1500. So that either means they have barely sold any if theyre going in order or means absolutely nothing if they just send random numbers

mine came in the mail today. it is #41/1500, so obviously there is no rhyme or reason to how they're sending them out.  game looks cool tho. haven't played it yet.