IGNORED

Question about Analogue Super NT, Sega MG, batteries, saves, etc. .

So hey hey all.  I am thinking of getting these 2 systems.  Of course I would have to start a collection all over, but it would be a small collection of RPGs so it won't bankrupt me.  After playing the mini/classic systems.  I pine for actual FPGa gaming.  But the one thing keeping me from jumping back in to 16bit collecting is not the money, but the battery soldering thing.  And there is one game that at least from the one guy I sent my games to for soldering said couldn't be opened.  Buck Rogers Genesis.  So one of my favorite games can't even be fixed supposedly.

You can jailbreak these and load roms and save to an sd card I hear.  But you can't play from the cart and then save to the sd card right?  I mean you have to load a rom if you want to bypass cart battery saving?  If anyone has these systems please share your experience playing RPGs and saving onto an sd card.  Or your experience with how much of a pain learning soldering batteries is.

Edited by ErickRPG

Administrator · Posted

I can't speak to the Saving to SD card, if that's possible (though I do have both the Mega SG and Super NT), but I can speak to soldering. 

It's honestly SUPER EASY. I'm no pro, I've done it just a few times, but it's honestly SUPER EASY. No joke, I'm not much of a hardware modding guy by any stretch. Most I've actually done is soldering batteries and disabled the lockout chip on a NES (literally clipping a wire). It's easy, and some might even call it fun. 

Any soldering iron will do, too. Spend like 10-20 bucks tops. It just has to get hot enough to melt the solder, that's it. Then it's kinda like drawing. You just dab at the solder til it melts and pull the connection away. Ezpz. 

EA games can be opened.  There are youtube videos showing how it's done.  The yellow tab has to be popped out after the screws are removed. 

I have a the Super NT.  If you're running games from the SD card saving is automatic.  I don't think you can save from a cart to the SD Card, though.

On 1/3/2020 at 2:18 AM, ErickRPG said:

Thanks.  I'll check out that EA games video.  I never though of searching "EA games opening".  Which batteries do you think are the absolute best?  And do you guys like to install a battery holder + battery or just new battery?

The brand of battery doesn't really matter. I've only soldered batteries into SNES games, but I like to include a battery holder because once you remove the original battery from its position, it's pretty difficult to re-use the original holder for the new battery. Here's a picture of a battery replacement I did. It's nice and neat in there.

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4125.JPG

Edited by Trifecta
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 8:53 PM, CMR said:

EA games can be opened.  There are youtube videos showing how it's done.  The yellow tab has to be popped out after the screws are removed. 

I have a the Super NT.  If you're running games from the SD card saving is automatic.  I don't think you can save from a cart to the SD Card, though.

Thanks for the tip about that.  Once I heard that, I decided to go for it.  As it was my last hurdle.  I bought a Nomad for the genesis games I'll buy.  And I'll get an Analogue Super NT for the SNES games.  I really can't wait to get a new battery on 7th saga, then load it up on an analogue with hybrid scanlines.