IGNORED

You don't have to collect every coin in 1-3 for the 1up to appear in 2-1 in SMB

mbd39

According to everything I've seen on the internet, you either have to collect every coin in the third level of each world or use a warp in order for the hidden 1up to appear in the first level of the next world. So you should have to collect every coin in 1-3 in order to get the 1up in 2-1.

But you don't have to collect all of the coins. I noticed that I wasn't always getting every coin in 1-3 and the 1up was still there. So I experimented and it will still be there if you collect all but one or two coins. Leave three or more and it won't appear.

I don't know if this is true in every case but it is for 2-1.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 2

Just now, mbd39 said:

Wow. I can't believe that I didn't specify! It's Super Mario Bros. I'll edit the original post.

I assumed that was it, but I almost hated to ask because it seemed like it should be "dead obvious".  That said, I have no clue what you're talking about.  I loved this game as a kid, just like every other first-world kid in the 80s, but I never deep-dived into the secrets beyond the warps.  This is the first I've heard of this.  Neat.

1 minute ago, RH said:

I assumed that was it, but I almost hated to ask because it seemed like it should be "dead obvious".  That said, I have no clue what you're talking about.  I loved this game as a kid, just like every other first-world kid in the 80s, but I never deep-dived into the secrets beyond the warps.  This is the first I've heard of this.  Neat.

I didn't know about all the hidden 1ups until I started seriously going through the game the other day. There's a hidden 1up in the first level of each area. The 1up in 1-1 will appear every time. For all of the others you either have to warp to that world or collect all of the coins in the third level of the previous world. It makes for a nice challenge for completists.

But they cut you some slack for 1-3. You can collect all but one or two coins and the hidden 1up still appears in 2-1.

• Like 1

Oh, I see.  I think everyone knows where the freebie one is in 1-1.  I had not clue that 2-1, 3-1, etc. had them as well, but you had to earn them.  That's quite and interesting game mechanic.  Truly a way to build in randomness without the appearance truly being random.