IGNORED

Need some PlayStation Long Box Help!

Hello! I need some help from our resident historians:

Since I'm currently focused on rebuilding my long box collection, I've been really interested in making this new collection more special than the first. Well, I snagged a new "GRAIL!!!" for my small assortment of long box games. I  was super excited to have gotten this! The seller told me he used to work at Konami and this was a sample long box case from Sony to give publishers an example of the box dimensions for how art and packaging might work. 

I have been chatting with Jason from Gamerave.com (who has always been super nice and helpful) and he's told me these were also used in the first trade trade show displays Sony had to debut the PS1 and get companies interested in the system. He said there is a picture of that trade show booth/display that has these in the background out there, but I'm really struggling with finding it on Google. Anybody else have any interesting info? Or maybe that picture to add more context to this?

Thanks!

IMG_20240415_093920918~2.jpg

IMG_20240415_093942285~2.jpg

IMG_20240415_093951444~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 3

1 hour ago, theirontoupee said:

Hello! I need some help from our resident historians:

Since I'm currently focused on rebuilding my long box collection, I've been really interested in making this new collection more special than the first. Well, I snagged a new "GRAIL!!!" for my small assortment of long box games. I  was super excited to have gotten this! The seller told me he used to work at Konami and this was a sample long box case from Sony to give publishers an example of the box dimensions for how art and packaging might work. 

I have been chatting with Jason from Gamerave.com (who has always been super nice and helpful) and he's told me these were also used in the first trade trade show displays Sony had to debut the PS1 and get companies interested in the system. He said there is a picture of that trade show booth/display that has these in the background out there, but I'm really struggling with finding it on Google. Anybody else have any interesting info? Or maybe that picture to add more context to this?

Thanks!

IMG_20240415_093920918~2.jpg

IMG_20240415_093942285~2.jpg

IMG_20240415_093951444~2.jpg

That’s such a cool piece to add to the set.  

Did you keep any of the old set or did you start completely from scratch? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Hammerfestus said:

That’s such a cool piece to add to the set.  

Did you keep any of the old set or did you start completely from scratch? 

I started from scratch again. Luckily there were things I missed the first time around that I have been more diligent about getting more  complete copies. I was able to buy back my sealed copy of A-Train from the guy I sold my collection to so I could have that variant checked off my list.

27 minutes ago, theirontoupee said:

I started from scratch again. Luckily there were things I missed the first time around that I have been more diligent about getting more  complete copies. I was able to buy back my sealed copy of A-Train from the guy I sold my collection to so I could have that variant checked off my list.

Oof that’s got to be brutal these days.  When I was focusing on piecing back together my stuff a few years ago after I drunkenly sold some of it I considered seeing how far I could get on the variant set but I looked at doing like King‘s Quest and noped out of that idea pretty quickly lol.  Good luck to you though.  Considered trying to snag a copy of Space Hulk or anything?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

Oof that’s got to be brutal these days.  When I was focusing on piecing back together my stuff a few years ago after I drunkenly sold some of it I considered seeing how far I could get on the variant set but I looked at doing like King‘s Quest and noped out of that idea pretty quickly lol.  Good luck to you though.  Considered trying to snag a copy of Space Hulk or anything?

Yes, it's definitely pricier now. If a copy pops up I will certainly be trying my best to get it!

• Like 1