IGNORED

My 2nd RetroAchievements Set Developed - Barker Bill's Trick Shooting

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

Being a Jr. Developer over on RetroAchievements means that when I develop an achievement set it has to go through review, and man that process can take ages (~2 months right now before it's even looked at by a reviewer). But I've persevered (i.e. waited patiently) and now the second set I've developed (the first was ShmupSpeed!) has been released to the world.

Barker Bill's Trick Shooting (NES/Famicom) · RetroAchievements

This set was harder to make for sure, and will be much harder to earn all of the achievements on. Getting a "beat" on the game is easy enough, but the perfectionist achievements will take a lot of effort and skill.

I've also set up leaderboards for each of the four modes, both normal and perfection boards for showing off how cool you are with a lightgun (or a mouse emulating one...). 

Next up, I'm working on a childhood favourite in a genre that I mostly never touch, and taking on the challenge of a new console - the SNES! I've been working hard on Code Notes for NBA Hang Time! Having a lot of fun with this lately. 🙂

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 3/10/2024 at 10:13 AM, Gloves said:

Being a Jr. Developer over on RetroAchievements means that when I develop an achievement set it has to go through review, and man that process can take ages (~2 months right now before it's even looked at by a reviewer). But I've persevered (i.e. waited patiently) and now the second set I've developed (the first was ShmupSpeed!) has been released to the world.

Barker Bill's Trick Shooting (NES/Famicom) · RetroAchievements

This set was harder to make for sure, and will be much harder to earn all of the achievements on. Getting a "beat" on the game is easy enough, but the perfectionist achievements will take a lot of effort and skill.

I've also set up leaderboards for each of the four modes, both normal and perfection boards for showing off how cool you are with a lightgun (or a mouse emulating one...). 

Next up, I'm working on a childhood favourite in a genre that I mostly never tough, and taking on the challenge of a new console - the SNES! I've been working hard on Code Notes for NBA Hang Time! Having a lot of fun with this lately. 🙂

Neat!

I'm curious, though - what made you pick Barker Bill's Trick Shooting and NBA Hang Time? Those don't strike me as the type of game you typically play.

[T-Pac]

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, T-Pac said:

Neat!

I'm curious, though - what made you pick Barker Bill's Trick Shooting and NBA Hang Time? Those don't strike me as the type of game you typically play.

[T-Pac]

What strikes you as the games I'd typically play?

Lol no but you're not wrong. I played Barker Bill early this year for the NES Completions thread and actually found it incredibly enjoyable; compared to Duck Hunt which is basically all I've used the NES Light Gun for, it has a lot more variety and depth. I like shooting stuff, you think I don't like shooting stuff?!? 😛

NBA Hang Time is a game I played a lot with my brother when we were kids, and I've not played it since then but have always wanted to get a CIB copy for my shelf. When I was looking for my next set to develop it was suggested that I should move beyond the NES to start working with bigger RAM (16-bits!) so I could get more experience digging through memory for flags and the like, and so I could perhaps do some more complex stuff (if this then this, or that and then this when these). I was thinking of doing a platformer (considered doing SNES Beauty & The Beast), but was struck by a lack of inspiration for achievement design (beat all the levels, do so damageless... uuuuhhhh... not much else...), so I started looking at games I was really good at, and then games I just plum wanted to play. NBA Hang Time was in my "Want to buy" list and I was like hey... lots can be done with that!

I've got some more complex logic done up as was my goal, such as "Score a basket after the buzzer which puts you in the lead from behind, winning you the game":

image.png

On 3/10/2024 at 1:13 PM, Gloves said:

Being a Jr. Developer over on RetroAchievements means that when I develop an achievement set it has to go through review, and man that process can take ages (~2 months right now before it's even looked at by a reviewer).

I just make them and post them.

Graphics Team · Posted
23 hours ago, Gloves said:

What strikes you as the games I'd typically play?

Lol no but you're not wrong. I played Barker Bill early this year for the NES Completions thread and actually found it incredibly enjoyable; compared to Duck Hunt which is basically all I've used the NES Light Gun for, it has a lot more variety and depth. I like shooting stuff, you think I don't like shooting stuff?!? 😛

NBA Hang Time is a game I played a lot with my brother when we were kids, and I've not played it since then but have always wanted to get a CIB copy for my shelf. When I was looking for my next set to develop it was suggested that I should move beyond the NES to start working with bigger RAM (16-bits!) so I could get more experience digging through memory for flags and the like, and so I could perhaps do some more complex stuff (if this then this, or that and then this when these). I was thinking of doing a platformer (considered doing SNES Beauty & The Beast), but was struck by a lack of inspiration for achievement design (beat all the levels, do so damageless... uuuuhhhh... not much else...), so I started looking at games I was really good at, and then games I just plum wanted to play. NBA Hang Time was in my "Want to buy" list and I was like hey... lots can be done with that!

I've got some more complex logic done up as was my goal, such as "Score a basket after the buzzer which puts you in the lead from behind, winning you the game":

image.png

Haha that's makes sense.

I guess I've just inadvertently established you as a "shoot-em-ups and Runescape" guy in my mind, so "sports-ball and carnival games" caught me off guard. 

[T-Pac]

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Haha that's makes sense.

I guess I've just inadvertently established you as a "shoot-em-ups and Runescape" guy in my mind, so "sports-ball and carnival games" caught me off guard. 

[T-Pac]

I have varied tastes, though yes - those are my tops. 🙂

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
45 minutes ago, Estil said:

Can they figure out a way to use it on Everdrives so I can get these on a real system?

It'd need to at the least be internet capable, unfortunately. They work directly with the emulator Devs to get integrations working.