IGNORED

Unico Nova Blast

There's some wonkiness with the display. They originally claimed it was 1600x1200, people couldn't get it to work properly, and now for this product they're claiming 1440x1080 (so a different panel?). It looks cool but I'd wait for reviews to make sure they don't half-ass the finish line the display because you won't find a 4:3 replacement as big.

Graphics Team · Posted

I was interested in this when I first heard about it, but then I realized most of my favorite arcade games are pre-JAMMA and I really don't need to fall into the arcade PCB rabbit hole haha.

Still think it's an extremely cool concept, though.

[T-Pac]

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

It looks so great! 

unico-usa-posts-updated-pictures-of-the-nova-blast-candy-v0-vkeee6q8fr5c1.jpg

Very nice!

I've been trying to avoid this thread cuz this seems up my alley and I don't have "buy an arcade cabinet" money at the moment, but this might go on my "when I do again" list. When you've spent some time with it do you mind doing a writeup on your thoughts, and tag me on it? I'd love to know what you think after you've had time to tinker. Also how quick/easy is turning the monitor? I love TATE mode games but I'd probably be switching back and forth if I could and if it's a huge pain I know I'd not do so.

On 3/1/2024 at 4:01 PM, T-Pac said:

I was interested in this when I first heard about it, but then I realized most of my favorite arcade games are pre-JAMMA and I really don't need to fall into the arcade PCB rabbit hole haha.

Most pre-JAMMA games can be converted into jamma with a very simple adapter. There is no uniform standard before ~1986'ish. At least seven of my PCBs are pre-jamma, and none of them have weird unique inputs like trackball.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 3/5/2024 at 5:04 AM, Sumez said:

Most pre-JAMMA games can be converted into jamma with a very simple adapter.

Problem: Early 80s arcade PCBs are nonstandard and an expensive rabbit hole.

Solution: Buy expensive adapters to play the expensive PCBs on the expensive new arcade cab.

...I think I'll stick to Namco Museum for the PS1 haha...

[T-Pac]