IGNORED

Does a World Class Track Meet Round Seal Copy Exist?

Guests · Posted

I know that the World Class Track Meet rebranding of Stadium Events was released in 1988, but I can only find variants of it with the oval seal. Does a round seal copy actually exist?

I would imagine it does.  That said, World Class Track Meet was released as a stand-alone cart only in bundles with the Power Pad, so I would imagine the number of round seal copies in existence are astronomically small.  You would have had to buy a Power Pad in the few months between it's release and the switch from round seals to oval ones.  As such, it may just be a really difficult variant to snag.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

It was released in August 1988, how could it?

Bionic Commando was released in December 88.  WWF Wrestlemania was released in January of 89. They both have a round seal version.  The 5 screw switch happened at the end of '87.  It seems the switch to the oval seal happened sometime in 89.  So yeah, it should exist.

Edit: Another thing to note is that there the question of a 5 screw Stadium Events existing because the timeliness said it should, but none were known to exist.  Similarly, round seal WCTM should exist.  It's just a matter of time until one shows up.

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

It was released in August 1988, how could it?

The switch to the Oval Seal didn't happen for most titles until Feb 89, and furthermore, certain games by certain companies (I'm looking at you, Konami) kept circular seals on their games and boxes for later print-runs of pre-89 titles for the entire length of their run.

In a perfect world, WCTM should exist predominantly as a round seal (because Nintendo almost always over-produced the initial print runs of their first-party games), but the real world doesn't always work that way.  Look at Stadium Events release date and then tell me why almost every one ever found is a 3 screw version; it looks like the SE re-release is following in its footsteps by breaking the rules as well...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

Guests · Posted

I know I might be kind of answering my own question here, but I decided to try and do more reserach, and it looks that the round seal version probably doesn’t exist at all, as many of you were saying. After doing some digging, it seems that the Power Pad originally included SMB / DH / WCTM. The pack in with just a WCTM cartridge might have come later when the Oval Seal transition was already made, as the only pack ins I can find with a WCTM cartridge all have an Oval Seal.

5 hours ago, GamerSmith548 said:

I know I might be kind of answering my own question here, but I decided to try and do more reserach, and it looks that the round seal version probably doesn’t exist at all, as many of you were saying. After doing some digging, it seems that the Power Pad originally included SMB / DH / WCTM. The pack in with just a WCTM cartridge might have come later when the Oval Seal transition was already made, as the only pack ins I can find with a WCTM cartridge all have an Oval Seal.

No, the Power SET included the combo cart; the stand alone WCTM only ever came in the Stand alone retail Power PAD box, making it significantly less common than the combo cart...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

No, the Power SET included the combo cart; the stand alone WCTM only ever came in the Stand alone retail Power PAD box, making it significantly less common than the combo cart...

This.  The only thing I could see is if the stand alone pad wasn't released until after the transition, but that's an extreme longshot.  Nintendo didn't have a history of selling peripherals only with sets.  You could buy the Zapper and ROB separately at the same time that you could get the Deluxe Set.  And being several years after the system launched, they definitely weren't stupid enough to put out an accessory that was ONLY available if you bought a new system.  No, it's more likely that it's just a case of 5-screw Stadium Events syndrome - they exist, but quantities are so scarce that they almost never show up.

Guests · Posted

Sorry, that was an accident on me. Meant to say the Power Set, but I suppose I was too ahead of myself😄

On 1/6/2024 at 11:32 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

Bionic Commando was released in December 88.  WWF Wrestlemania was released in January of 89. They both have a round seal version.  The 5 screw switch happened at the end of '87.  It seems the switch to the oval seal happened sometime in 89.  So yeah, it should exist.

Edit: Another thing to note is that there the question of a 5 screw Stadium Events existing because the timeliness said it should, but none were known to exist.  Similarly, round seal WCTM should exist.  It's just a matter of time until one shows up.

Oh, that late? Interesting.