IGNORED

FS: Desolate Love (Famicom Homebrew)

fcgamer

Some Background Information:

A few months back I had done a hobbyist maze game (a Pac-Man clone) with my kindergarten class as a fun activity one Saturday, and then after the kids had designed out their stages, I took those designs and spent the next several weeks getting it up and running into an actual NES / Famicom game. The thread about it can be seen here:

I've decided that once I leave my current job I will release the ROM of this game for free for anyone who wants to download it and play it. Obviously I don't want to do so until I am out, though, which will be at the end of this year at the latest. If anyone was just dying to have one of those cartridges in their collection, at that time I can also make actual cartridges, for a budget price, but honestly I don't think it's something most would be interested in owning.

The History Behind Desolate Love:

Essentially, I decided to take the maze game we had done, expand it, and turn it into the game that is for sale here, Desolate Love. The game references some characters from a novella I wrote a year or two back, titled Tormented Love, though having read that story isn't necessary at all to play this game. This game is also set in the same universe as a few other upcoming ITG-Soft games, i.e. there will be some overlap between characters and what not, though at the same time everything will be contained to be a stand alone title as well.

The Gameplay:

In terms of gameplay, this is a maze game. It is set to a world of spirits and spooks, à la the Hungry Ghost Night series. The protagonist slides around grabbing incense sticks, hell money, and red envelopes for points, while attempting to avoid the mal-intentioned spirits. Think Pac-Man, only with hopping vampires and Chinese elements.

There are fifty stages in the game, plus a second quest. 

Two-Player Mode:

Although I think Desolate Love is fun in its own right, there is only so much one can do with a maze game, and Pac-Man will always be the best since it did these things first; however, I do think the two-player mode is where Desolate Love shines. It's a simultaneous mode, pitting both players against each other, which adds a lot of multiplayer fun to the game. In the two-player mode, each player has a different objective, too, adding  a unique spin to the game.

Notes and Warnings:

This game was originally designed as an 18+ game for several reasons. After every so many stages, there are cutscenes with naked women (spirits). The theme of ghost marriages and seductive female spirits from beyond the grave is quite common in many Chinese horror films, as well as Asian horror, and as a game trying to fit somewhat in that genre, this game is no different. Similarly, there are some (minor) references to sexual assault and suicide, but it more relates to the backstory from the novella mentioned earlier.

That being said, I decided to also make a censored version of the game for those who want to experience the game but don't feel comfortable with the 18+ stuff. Just let me know when ordering if you want the censored version, rather than the standard 18+ version, and I'll be sure to send you that version.

Ordering:

To order the game, either DM me or place an order from the maliscash link below. The cost is $49.95, and it contains a box, cartridge, and manual. Thanks for checking it out!

FC Desolate Love (Homebrew) | Mali S Cash Bar 

685979_3be273e6bdf549fb96b0677dc8428b6e~mv2.jpg

685979_f53a222defed45c8a590fd93ffe66fd0~mv2.jpg

685979_33ba33e18a28448690590421965e92aa~mv2.jpg

685979_b4c959bd02d6486bae346801f8500e7d~mv2.png

685979_02ccd8043f404139902971037b715628~mv2.png

685979_97f17d6bb92244159d267c8aa5b98f8c~mv2.png

685979_a55ff8629c064cc3b1efe3c0602cd1a2~mv2.png

685979_8eed5a307ca1460589061e69a230c336~mv2.png

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to FS: Desolate Love (Famicom Homebrew)
Administrator · Posted

I like the little parody of putting a quote from yourself reviewing your own game on the front of the box. It'd be incredibly cringe if it weren't presented as a parody, but I think you nailed it. The juxtaposition of putting out a really amateur game in January and then quoting literally yourself as saying that it's 2024's best Famicom Maze game (so specific it can't be untrue!) is really *chef's kiss*. I appreciate that you marry the horror genre with humor like that - never taking yourself seriously in the slightest; it's the true indie way.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

I like the little parody of putting a quote from yourself reviewing your own game on the front of the box. It'd be incredibly cringe if it weren't presented as a parody, but I think you nailed it. The juxtaposition of putting out a really amateur game in January and then quoting literally yourself as saying that it's 2024's best Famicom Maze game (so specific it can't be untrue!) is really *chef's kiss*. I appreciate that you marry the horror genre with humor like that - never taking yourself seriously in the slightest; it's the true indie way.

I thought it was pretty funny as I was putting the box together, I'm glad the humor wasn't lost.